Frozen Liquid Egg Whites From Gordon Foods For Smbc??

Baking By springlakecake Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 12:20am by warchild

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 10

I have tried using the liquid egg whites for swiss meringue buttercream in the past, but I couldnt get them to whip up. I thought I remembered someone saying they used frozen liquid egg whites from Gordon Foods. I saw them today and couldnt resist buying a carton (It's like a half gallon!) Wondered if anyone used this and if it worked? Also it says after you thaw it, it should be used within 3 days. Wondering if you can refreeze the egg whites in smaller containers? [/u]

9 replies
jsc2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsc2010 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 10

Please....I would love to know these answers also!!!

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by springlakecake

I have tried using the liquid egg whites for swiss meringue buttercream in the past, but I couldnt get them to whip up. I thought I remembered someone saying they used frozen liquid egg whites from Gordon Foods. I saw them today and couldnt resist buying a carton (It's like a half gallon!) Wondered if anyone used this and if it worked? Also it says after you thaw it, it should be used within 3 days. Wondering if you can refreeze the egg whites in smaller containers? [/u]

Haven't used frozen egg whites, but thought I'd add I would never refreeze them. Too risky, especially when it says to use them within 3 days.

ERdocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ERdocmom Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 10

Yes, they do work. I was skeptical the first time I used the frozen egg whites (defrosted, of course :>) and now use them whenever making big batches of SMBC. I wouldn't re-freeze the whites, but never experimented with that. Hope this helps!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 10

I don,t get mine frozen, but i have changed to pasteurized liquid whites. I get store brand and brand names. whatever. I love them. They never have failed me.

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 10

I've not used the frozen ones, but I have used the liquid egg whites from Sam's club. They worked great for me.
As for refreezing.......ummm I wouldn't. I'd just make more SMBC and freeze that! Kinda of like I did when I was given 20 coupons for 8oz of cream cheese. Didn't know if you could freeze cream cheese, but I did know you could freeze cheesecakes! icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 10

thank you! I'll give them a shot! I hate separating eggs and throwing away the yolk. Not sure if it is economical or not though.

oh and cream cheese doent freeze that well. The texture is off, kind of grainy. Might be fine for cheesecakes or as an ingredient, but not very good by itself icon_smile.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 10

I didn't know egg whites could be frozen. So, they sell them frozen already or you freeze them yourself?
Thanks everyone!!

springlakecake Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 10

it was already frozen in a carton. However, I often do by the egg beaters or whatever (for scrambled eggs) and just put the whole thing in the freezer.

I am pretty sure you can freeze cracked egg whites/yolks, but you have to add salt or sugar I think. I am not sure how to do it, but I have read up on it in the past.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 12:20am
post #10 of 10

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%