Where Do I Start

Decorating By troman Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 5:27am by snazzygem

troman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
troman Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 12:48am
post #1 of 2

hello everyone ... i have a lot of questions ! i am going to be turning 21 in july and want to make a cake with fondant, but have no idea where to start.
i have no experience with fondant or cake, except for store bought ones. here is my idea ...

i really want a brownie on the bottom for a crust type thing. i'm assuming it has to be really thin ? and i was wondering if i buttercream the brownie as i do the cake would the fondant have problems sticking to the brownie ?

i think i'm going to buy a dunkin hines mix and make two big square cakes on top of eachother. i have read about putting a jello mix into the mix so it will hold up the fondant better. how exactly would i do that ? do i just add the jello mix ... no other added ingredients needed ? do i need a jello mix for each box of cake ?

& what would be the best store bought buttercream for fondant
& the best store bought fondant ?

i'm still deciding on flavors. i am a chocolate lover. i want the brownie, chocolate cake, some type of chocolate or fudge filling ? my boyfriend doesn't want all that chocolate tho so i am willing to hear any ideas you may have.i also like fresh strawberry filling as well. maybe a marble cake ? or vanilla ? any suggestions ?

i also don't know when to make it all. my birthday falls on a saturday, but all my friends are coming from out of town on friday so i wont have any time to make it on friday. i was wondering if i make it on thursday will it dry out ?

i look forward to hearing all of yalls ideas ! i know i'm asking a lot. thank you !!!

1 reply
snazzygem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzygem Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 5:27am
post #2 of 2

Search YouTube for video tutorials on fondant and recipes. The only thing I add to box mixes is an egg. You can search the "recipe" section of this website for ideas on flavors. I also make my own buttercream, so I am not sure of good store-brand icings.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%