Dark Chocolate Ganache Under Ivory Fondant?

Decorating By southerncross Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 12:52pm by mmdiez10

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 12:48am
post #1 of 10

I have just started using ganache under fondant and love it. I've only used white chocolate ganache under my wedding cake fondant but with the heat of summer coming, I'm thinking of using dark chocolate ganache as I understand it's more stable than the white. My concern is whether the dark chocolate will show through the white fondant (I'm using Albert Uster's white chocolate fondant)

Has anyone tried dark choco ganache under white/ivory fondant? Any tips, suggestions, warnings are eagerly awaited.

9 replies
CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:17am
post #2 of 10

I tend to use dark chocolate ganache under most of my cakes, unless it's a white choc mudcake then I'll use white. Dark chocolate ganache is more stable but it all comes down to the choc to cream ratio. I don't think you'll have a problem with the ivory fondant showing through as long as it is not too thin, I try to get mine to about 3-5mm.

HTH!

Good luck & remember to have fun!

Cheers!

southerncross Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:01am
post #3 of 10

CandyCU, thank you so very much. You give me courage to tackle this cake.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:22am
post #4 of 10

Yes, i use it under Ivory and white Fondant - never shows through - thumbs_up.gif
A good Milk Chocolate will give you the same finish - just incase you didn't want to use dark...

Enjoy.

Bluehue

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:01am
post #5 of 10

I have had one issue with this! When you cover a dark chocolate ganache cake with light colored fondant (in my case it was pink), it will very subtly tint that fondant! - the way I found out about this is after I covered my cake in pink fondant, I used the same fondant to make some decorations and when up against the pink cake (which was the same fondant), the pinks weren't quite the same color...the cake was just a shade darker. I actually didn't notice when I put the fondant on the cake...it was only when I put the same fondant on as decorations. So, if you don't have something to compare it to, it will look beautiful and you won't be able to tell there is a dark finish under. Just be careful if you're using the same color for decorations...you can see a difference. And, by the way, I'm super anal about those things...most people (including my client) said they didn't notice it! icon_wink.gif

Here's the cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1391292
*you can see the tea pot handles/spout are a slightly "brighter" pink...but it was all from the same batch of fondant.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:23am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmudrash

it! icon_wink.gif

Here's the cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1391292
*you can see the tea pot handles/spout are a slightly "brighter" pink...but it was all from the same batch of fondant.

No one would have noticed until you pointed it out. I am similar to you redid a whole cake cause the chocolate fondant wan't the same color....some area's were lighter.

Beautiful Tea Pot Cake

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:45am
post #7 of 10

I was concerned about this too on the last wedding cake I did. I used ganache on the 16" tier and just buttercream on the 3 tiers. After applying fondant on all the tiers, I couldn't see any difference, I was worried since I only used chocolate ganache on one tier, thought there might be a difference in shading, but couldn't see any.

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 5:42am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

I was concerned about this too on the last wedding cake I did. I used ganache on the 16" tier and just buttercream on the 3 tiers. After applying fondant on all the tiers, I couldn't see any difference, I was worried since I only used chocolate ganache on one tier, thought there might be a difference in shading, but couldn't see any.

I know that fondant thickness can help! I guess if you know you're doing a darker "underlayment", just make the fondant thicker so it hides! icon_smile.gif My tea pot's fondant was rolled pretty thin.

southerncross Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 12:00pm
post #9 of 10

I stand in awe of all of your work but most of all I appreciate each of you being so generous with your help. This is a bit off topic but the reason I love this site is all the wonderful bakers and decorators from around the world who share their knowledge, experience and "secrets" with each other. If the rest of the world would act with such kindness perhaps this planet wouldn't be in such sorry and turmoil.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 12:52pm
post #10 of 10

I successfully made an ivory fondant covered multi-tier wedding cake with dark chocolate ganache under the fondant. It didn't show through and the guests were pleasantly surprised to find a layer of chocolate in there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%