Racing Car Cake!! Ahhh!

Decorating By cantstopeatingcake Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 1:18am by Ursula40

cantstopeatingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cantstopeatingcake Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 4

hi! im quite a novice... and im planning on making a racing car cake for my boyfriend. he is obsessed with formula 1, especially the 'mclaren' team.
im just wondering if anyone has done something like this before??
or does anyone have any tips??

. . .or is this cake a bit too adventerous for a novice!!!

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 12:22am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstopeatingcake

hi! im quite a novice... and im planning on making a racing car cake for my boyfriend. he is obsessed with formula 1, especially the 'mclaren' team.
im just wondering if anyone has done something like this before??
or does anyone have any tips??

. . .or is this cake a bit too adventerous for a novice!!!

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Here is a great tutorial
I think it looks straight forward enough. If you're not keen on the piping, you could use edible images.
Good luck!!!

rubycurls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rubycurls Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 4

Hi there
To answer your question, I guess it depends if you plan to make a realistic or cartoonish f1 car. I have one in my pics that is quite detailed. I looked at a pic of the real thing and broke it up into basic shapes to copy. Carving it is easy as long as you go slow and take off less than you need to each time you cut. That way you won't make a huge mistake. Just decide how detailed you want it to be then take the main sponsorship logos and copy those first. I used a mix of piping, painting and cutouts to do mine. If you then have the time or inclination you can add finer details like the gumpaste spoiler. Give yourself lots of time and make it easy on yourself by buying premcoloured red fondant. I coloured White navy for this cake and ended up using almost a full tub of paste. If you want any help with specific details pm me and I'll try to point you in the right direction. Good luck Hun.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:18am
post #4 of 4

I recently made a car for Adrian Sutil of the force india team. i saved some instructions from the net, pm me your email address and I'll send you what I have

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%