Please Help! Filling Cupcake Liners With Batter

Baking By Osgirl Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 3:10am by Osgirl

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:58am
post #1 of 9

I'm still pretty new to baking cupcakes, but all of a sudden people are wanting to order cupcakes from me. icon_smile.gif

I've been practicing a lot, and the one thing that is still difficult with some recipes is filling my cupcake liners with just the right amount of batter. I've noticed with some recipes I have to fill the liners less because they rise and spill onto the edges of the pan. Then some recipes I have to fill more so that they rise up enough.

For minis I've used a mini ice cream scoop, and for regular cupcakes I've used a regular ice cream scoop.

I want mine to have the perfect shape. I want them to rise slightly without spilling over the edge. I'm doing a wedding in September, and I want to have them looking just perfect.

Any helpful hints? THANK YOU!

8 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:07am
post #2 of 9

Just keep practicing, until you know exactly what each of your recipes take. Adjust amounts, temp, and time until everything comes out perfectly. Good Luck!

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:35am
post #3 of 9

youcan use the scoops 10 and 12, 12 is o make smaller cupcakes and the 10 you can make bigger. Also depends on the size of of the pans. Scoop the batter and with the spatula level the batter, this way you will have the same size cupcakes

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 9

Take notes of which way each batter reacts while baking. I have found that not every recipe will take the same amount and react the same way. It will be different for each kind.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 9

I agree with all the previous posters, you have to try & practice & make sure you write down your results especially if you are baking from scratch, each recipe reacts differently . With me the consistency of the batter is very important. Batters that are thick don't rise that much whereas thin/watery batters tend to spill & rise quite a bit.

HTH

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 9

Before I bake an order I always fill 2-3 cupcake liners with different amounts and bake them to see how they rise, choose the one I like best and fill the rest of the liners that full.

lorenaortegarox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorenaortegarox Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 9

i like divinecc idea! thanks for the advice ladies, im also a beginner

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 9

I like divinecc's idea also. I draw a diagram of my cupcake pan, place 3 or 4 liner in the pan and fill with different amounts of batter. On your diagram, note the batter amounts. Once baked, note which one you like best.

You may need to do this at least once for each recipe.

good luck & happy baking

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:10am
post #9 of 9

Great advice! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%