What Frosting Should I Use For Outside?

Baking By CubanoPete Updated 19 Jun 2011 , 10:47pm by CubanoPete

CubanoPete Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CubanoPete Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 4:40am
post #1 of 10

I have been asked to make some cupcakes for a friends daughter's birthday party. The party will be outside in a park. We live in South Florida, so it will most likely be pretty hot and humid.

I plan to make a pull apart with 31 cupcakes and an additional 24 to placed in a box.

I planned on using my favorite vanilla cream-cheese frosting, but I am afraid it might melt. What do you think? What is better to use outside creamcheese or buttercream?

Any tips would be great I don't want to mess up this 3 year old girl's birthday party.

Thanks

9 replies
Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 5:55am
post #2 of 10

Here is a recipe that works well for me it has a nice crust too. it's called Juanita's Frosting
I took cake decotating classes from her years ago.
2# - Pwd. sugar
1/2 cup Water
1 3/4 c. Shortening
1 Tsp. Salt
1 TB. Flavoring I use Rum extract or what ever you like
1 pkg. Dream whip
it also calls for 1 egg white but I have done w /o the egg white if in the heat and added just a touch more Pwd. sugar to keep it firm and it tasted fine to me.
Good luck with your cupcakes.

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 6:47am
post #3 of 10

uhh i think i will try this one too. thanks

LSW929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW929 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 9:23am
post #4 of 10

Indydebi's recipe is easy to make and delicious, it withstands heat with no problem.

CubanoPete Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 10

Oh..wow thanks. I will give it a try, the only thing is I have never seen "Dream Whip" at the grocery store, so I will have to do a little investigating to find it.

My question still kind of stands though, butter cream or cream cheese, which can stand the heat better?

I like both the recipe's that I have for each, but what is not going to melt?

Thanks again for your replies.

CubanoPete Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSW929

Indydebi's recipe is easy to make and delicious, it withstands heat with no problem.

Who is Indydebi and where can I find the recipe?

HomemadeUpgrade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HomemadeUpgrade Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 10

Cream cheese will melt and not be safe outside for any length of time in the south Florida heat. Definitely do a stable buttercream such as the one listed above or IndyDebs. I sell my cupcakes outdoors at a farmers market and use a modified version of Indydeb's recipe. I use about 1/4 of a pack of dream whip and replace 1/2 cup of shortening with butter (for better flavor). Works well for me.

Dream Whip is near the jello and marshmallow in my store.

BerrySweet2430 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BerrySweet2430 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 10

4 me, the perfect buttercream

LSW929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW929 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 10

If you click on recipes and search indydebi's crisco based buttercream you'll find it. You can find dream whip in most grocery stores usually in the baking aisle, mine has it near the pudding section. Walmart also carries it. Her icing has withstood 90 degree heat outside for hours. Indydebi is one of Cake Central's most popular people, she has a terrific sense of humor and shares alot of advice and information.

CubanoPete Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 10:47pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for all the feed back. I found Indydebi recipe and I will give it a try and see what happens.

Last question would you put the cupcakes in the refrigerator the night before or just leave them outside. I planned to frost on Friday and turn in the cake on Saturday morning. I doubt I can find a box that is big enough, but I am going to try.

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%