How Do You Feel When.....

Lounge By platinumlady Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 11:20pm by Dayti

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 3:56am
post #1 of 23

How do you feel when you visit a website that has music playing in the background? I've heard from a couple of places music playing in the background on websites is a no no ... (except if your line of work is music)...so I took my music off my website...but still wanted to know what you the consumer thinks....I am also running a similar poll on Facebook

I was talking with one of my business partners (different business) about this & she hadn't heard it before the lunch session the other day. Thanks for all your help...

Also please feel free to share why you feel one way or the other.

Thanks

22 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 4:07am
post #2 of 23

I HATE it when music plays in the background. I'm usually playing music when I surf the web and I hate when it mixs together...

Either that or I'm at work and everyone knows I'm not working when music starts blasting from a website I just clicked on

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 4:25am
post #3 of 23

I'm not a fan of it because it is sometimes too loud and startles me out of my own little world (sometimes someone has cranked the volume on my computer).

If I'm reading the information the music can be annoying. Rarely the music goes well with the site.

I do love the mute button on my computer, so if a person wants music on their site it's their business.

JMO

Michele

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 5:38am
post #4 of 23

i hate it. Unless i really need something off of that site, i'll pretty much click off and leave instead of trying to find out how to silence it (and i have a mute button on my keyboard)

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 5:38am
post #5 of 23

Hate it. I like it quiet when I read. If I want music, I will put some on, thank you for asking.

shadow3829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadow3829 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 10:20am
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann

i hate it. Unless i really need something off of that site, i'll pretty much click off and leave instead of trying to find out how to silence it (and i have a mute button on my keyboard)

I do exactly the same thing. Actually I will do the same thing if there is any kind of flash pop ups.

DomesticatedDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DomesticatedDiva Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 10:30am
post #7 of 23

I chose, doesnt bother me one way or another, as i dont have the sound on because i have 4 kids and an annoying husband so i cant hear myself think anyway icon_razz.gif I only turn the sound on if i intend to listen to something

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 10:41am
post #8 of 23

I hate it! it drives me crazy bc I listen to sports radio all day when I'm home and when I suddenly hear music (when surfing the net) it gets on my nerves bc I have to, or, turn of the radio or more often than not I change the site I'm looking at. It's very, very annoying.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 10:49am
post #9 of 23

hate, Hate, HATE music on websites. I find it just as much an intrusion as telemarketers and door-to-door salespeople. And, I have NEVER come across a site where the music enhanced the experience of visiting the website. So if it doesn't serve a valuable purpose, leave it off.

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 1:19pm
post #10 of 23

Super hate music, but there's one thing even more annoying; the little stuff that follows your mouse cursor around! Grrrrrrrrrr!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 2:25pm
post #11 of 23

Unless you're a musical artist and this is your music website.

Otherwise, NO MUSIC, PLEASE!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 3:08pm
post #12 of 23

I can't stand music on websites, and I always hit the mute button.

Tracey2528 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracey2528 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 3:14pm
post #13 of 23

Not only is it annoying, but I never like the type of music that is playing..and it always takes me by surprise because my speaker is usually up loud from listening to Pandora

airedalian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
airedalian Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 3:27pm
post #14 of 23

Like others have said, I'll just leave the website rather than looking for the mute button. Faster, and the sooner I make it stop the better.

Especially when I'm surfing at work....

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 3:56pm
post #15 of 23

Hate it as well. I immediately leave the website.

rblee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rblee Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 3:58pm
post #16 of 23

Hate it. Hate it so much that my sound is muted as a default and I un-mute when I want to hear something specific (such as a youtube video).

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 4:14pm
post #17 of 23

Absolutely hate it! Half the time it scares the bejeebers out of me, and the other half of the time it's music I don't want to listen to. Please just let me read in peace and quiet! icon_biggrin.gif

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 4:24pm
post #18 of 23

omg!i just visited this cake site recently & music was playing..couldn't turn it off..the first few mins., it was ok, but same music was played the whole time, it was already getting annoying thumbsdown.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:14am
post #19 of 23

I chose "other" because my computer is muted ALL of the time. I only activate the sound when I want it/need it.

Rae

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:39am
post #20 of 23

I had to add my vote for don't like it; I'm one of the people who immediately leave the site (FYI, I also immediately leave if I have to "click here to enter" a site...I already clicked on your site during my search!). In addition to the distraction, music style is such a personal preference. What you like may set someone else's teeth on edge. I've been known to leave stores that are playing music I hate or even playing music I like too loudly.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:57am
post #21 of 23

Thanks everyone... I was reading an article of the 10 top things not to do on your website....I read it really fast & there were two things it mentioned that I was doing. 1- flash intro (even though it was the kind that pop for a second & then went straight to the page) 2- music (it was mellow music but music none-the-less) I went to a luncheon & one of the speakers mentioned musics again. So that's why I did this poll...

By the way I took the flash into & the music off. before I did the poll...however, I wanted to share the info with a couple of different business owners & one of them has to have proof ....so I would say this is proof enough...

Thanks again

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:20am
post #22 of 23

Hate it! Whenever my husband or his other computer business friends do website they talk everyone out of music. Fastest way to drive someone away from your site.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 11:20pm
post #23 of 23

I also hate music on websites. I generally have my volume down low though, but sometimes the music startles me awake from my little world too if I haven't lowered the volume from when I was listening to something interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumlady

I was reading an article of the 10 top things not to do on your website....

What were the other 8 things? Would love to know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%