Need Help With Pricing

Decorating By peachofcake Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 4:49am by bakingkat

peachofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachofcake Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 4:35am
post #1 of 2

Still really unsure with the pricing of cakes. I really only make my cakes for family, but more people are asking me to make cakes for them. I have a bride that is wanting a small cake...12 inch round (made of cake) and a cake dummy to go under it. She is wanting it out of fondant and to look similar to this cake here http://www.jacquiscakes.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=57800574 It would obviously not have the golf ball and the bonney lake logo would possibly have their monogram.

What would you charge for a cake that is 12 inch round cake with a 8, 9, or 10 inch round cake dummy all covered and decorated with fondant?

Any help would be appreciated.

1 reply
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:49am
post #2 of 2

Do you have a bakery? Keep in mind that in Washington you're not technically allowed to sell any food goods out of your home, it must be out of a licensed kitchen. If you plan on starting to sell cakes instead of just doing it for family and friends you might want to look into the cottage law that is going through right now, then you would be allowed to, but there are still quidelines.
Anyways, that aside, I would say $3-$7 per serving would be average for the area for fondant covered cakes. Also, as far as wanting a dummy cake, keep in mind that it is not usually a cheaper option, the cost of the foam is just as expensive if not more than the cost of cake ingredients, people are generally paying for the time and experience required to make the cake, not the cake itself. So make sure you factor that cost in as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%