Please Help! Ganache Question..

Decorating By Lisa-lou Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 8:14pm by Lisa-lou

Lisa-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa-lou Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 2:51am
post #1 of 6

I have a cake due on Sunday and this my first wedding cake. I decided to use ganache under the fondant and wondered if I can ganache the cake today then refrigerate overnight and cover with fondant tomorrow? Would I need to store the cake in a special way? I'm at a loss and would appreciate any advice I can get.

5 replies
Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:07am
post #2 of 6

Yep you can! Depending on the heat, I either leave my cake in the fridge or on the bench once it has the ganache on it. If you put it in the fridge, you have to be mindful of the fact that the cake will have condensation as it comes to room temp. It's easy to get the fondant on but the fondant will sweat and look glassy as it comes to room temp - just don't touch it. When it gets to room temp it goes back to normal. But I'm sure there are some experts here that could give you much more comprehensive advice - I only hobby bake for birthdays etc.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:10am
post #3 of 6

Yes you can ganache tonight, refridgerate and fondant tomorrow. I can't say for certain if it would need to be refridgerated after that....I wouldn't think so, but since ganache is made with cream it may need to be. Some veteran CCers will know better about that part....

Lisa-lou Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:17am
post #4 of 6

Thank you so much ladies!

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 4:02am
post #5 of 6

I had a very similar question back in May, my first time using ganache. You should be good. Ditto on what Melnick said about condensation and then after it is covered you can just leave it out at room temperature until Sunday.

Lisa-lou Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks SarahBeth! It all turned out great with a lovely result. Definitely going to do ganache more often...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%