Help With Mini Purses

Decorating By KJF1985 Updated 17 Jun 2011 , 7:57pm by KJF1985

KJF1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJF1985 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 9

I'm doing a retirement cake for a lady at work. One of her obsessions is purses and I was asked to recreate a few of hers on the cake. On the top tier of the cake (8 inch round) I will put three mini purses. I'm torn because I'm not sure if I should make them out of cake or just fondant/gumpaste. They don't need to be cake and I'm slightly worried about my carving skills. However, it seems like a whole lot of fondant and gumpaste to use. I'm not sure of the size yet - just whatever it takes to have three purses fill up an 8 inch round - maybe 4x3in?

So if you were doing mini purse toppers would you make them from cake or just fondant/gumpaste? Thanks in advance!

8 replies
nettemc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nettemc Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 9

I would make them out of RK then cover with fondant.

KJF1985 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettemc

I would make them out of RK then cover with fondant.

I thought about that too but don't really want to make a whole batch just for some little purses. Haha. Lazy, I know.

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 9

I would use RKT as well. I normally make a batch, but you could always buy a pack since you don't need much. The leftovers would be good to have on hand for another time when you really don't feel like making a batch!

nettemc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nettemc Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 9

You can buy them in the supermarket.

believer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
believer Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 9

I have a similar cake due in July. But for a birthday. The lady will be 83 years old. I want to do a chocolate shoe on top cake. A small purse on 2nd tier. Is there a template for a small purse. I have never used RTK. and hellp would be appreciated. thanks

KJF1985 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by believer

I have a similar cake due in July. But for a birthday. The lady will be 83 years old. I want to do a chocolate shoe on top cake. A small purse on 2nd tier. Is there a template for a small purse. I have never used RTK. and hellp would be appreciated. thanks

Do you want it fully 3D? One option, if it's just an accent, is to cut the shape out of flat fondant and add the decorations as you want (handle, etc). It's much easier and could be done free handed or by printing then cutting out a picture of a purse and tracing around it.

Like this http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1842146

or http://cakecentral.com/gallery/45598

As opposed to something that's more like a real purse (dimension wise).

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJF1985 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 7:57pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:

Awesome tutorial!! I think I'll go with buying the RKT. Thanks guys! I'm super excited to make some purses!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%