Basic Sugar Cookie Questions

Baking By nanasmom Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 5:20am by karabeal

nanasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanasmom Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,

I am planning on making iced sugar cookies for my daughters birthday party. I bought a Wilton cookie mold pan which has a recipe on the back for sugar cookies. Has anyone tried it?

I was also going to use the Wilton cookie icing to ice them. (I dont have much time to start working with something from scratch.) Is the icing decent tasting?

Also, can I freeze the cookies and is it better to freeze with icing or ice after?

Thanks in advance!

8 replies
southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 9

You should freeze cookies that are not iced or decorated.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:34am
post #3 of 9

What is the recipe? They have posted lots.

I use one from Wilton:
Rolled Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
3 cups flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix flour and baking powder together in a bowl, set aside. Cream butter and sugar together with an electric mixer. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture, 1 cup at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Do not chill dough.
Roll out onto parchment paper cut to fix baking sheets. Keep dough fairly thick, atleast ¼ inch thick. Cut desired shapes, leaving extra dough in place. Place in freezer. Roll our remaining cookies the same way, leaving in the freezer about 10 minutes. Remove from freezer and take excess dough from around shapes. Immediately bake cookies until just set, about 4-12 minutes depending on the size. Cool on sheets for 5 minutes then on wire rack.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbegg

What is the recipe? They have posted lots.

I use one from Wilton:
Rolled Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
3 cups flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix flour and baking powder together in a bowl, set aside. Cream butter and sugar together with an electric mixer. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture, 1 cup at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Do not chill dough.
Roll out onto parchment paper cut to fix baking sheets. Keep dough fairly thick, atleast ¼ inch thick. Cut desired shapes, leaving extra dough in place. Place in freezer. Roll our remaining cookies the same way, leaving in the freezer about 10 minutes. Remove from freezer and take excess dough from around shapes. Immediately bake cookies until just set, about 4-12 minutes depending on the size. Cool on sheets for 5 minutes then on wire rack.

I use this same recipe, with just a tiny bit of change. I reduce the baking powder to 1 tsp., and I add 2 tsp. of extract instead of the 1 tsp. the recipe calls for.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 9

This is my favorite and you can freeze them with no problem.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15218/khalsteads-modified-nfsc

laurahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurahill Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 8:13am
post #6 of 9

Hey,Great..Thank you so much for this recipe....I love cookies..I will definitely try this ...

microunique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microunique Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 4:45am
post #7 of 9

It is a great way of preserving the freshness of baked cookies by the way of freezing it. We can keep the baked cookies in the freezer for up to 3 to 4 weeks. On the time of eating the frozen cookies we should wait to come down its temperature to the room temperature.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:04am
post #8 of 9

There is a sugar cookie recipe in the beginning of Rose Levy Berenbaum's Christmas Cookie book that has lemon zest included in it and has a shelf life of several MONTHS. No freezing necessesary at all. I think it's called Traditional Rolled Sugar Cookies. They are delish! icon_smile.gif

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:20am
post #9 of 9

I also love KHalstead's modified NFSC recipe. I've iced them with Toba Garret's glacee and then frozen them. After defrosting, they are just as beautiful and tasty as before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%