Will This Be Enough Serving For 30 Guest's

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 3:32pm by kristiemarie

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 7

I have a lady who initially wanted a really small cake to serve 15 now she needs it to feed 30. Would a 9 and 6 inch be enough to serve this amount? I know people don't usually cut tiny pieces. I had a friend order a cake last weekend and said that she didn't have enough for all her guest's. I made a 10 inch round with a dozen cupcakes around the graduation cap. Can anyone tell me the amount of servings for a 10 inch cake and a 12 inch cake. I thought the dozen cupcakes would make up the difference between the 10 and 12 inch cake. Thank you.

6 replies
CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 7

Yes, a 9" and a 6" will be enough to feed 30 people.

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 7

This chart should give you the answer you're looking for:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 7

10 inch round serves 38 if cut properly.
12 inch round serves 55 if cut properly.

Servings charts are for pricing. If your customer "cuts big" then they have to order more cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 7

Use the Wilton serving chart for 'wedding cakes' to determine # of servings for **any and every** 4" tall cake.
A 10x4" round will serve 38; so that cake should have yielded 50 servings.
A 9x4" round will serve 32
A 12x4" round yields 56

If you are giving them a 2" cake the # of servings is cut in 1/2.

Now you can't be there and watch each customer to make sure they cut it *just right*, but you can show them a sample of the serving size. Cut a piece of wood or styro in the serving size of 1x2x4. You can also a 2x2x2 cube. They give **exactly** the same amount of cake - just cut differetly.
Tell customer this (show sample) is what you base the 'yield' and pricing on and if they want to cut bigger slices then they need to order a bigger cake.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 7

I am working on a sheet to give to my customers explaining how to cut the cake to get the correct size and number of servings. You might want to consider!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%