Camo Pattern ??

Decorating By blessed7ofus Updated 18 Jun 2011 , 1:24am by blessed7ofus

blessed7ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessed7ofus Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 8

I would like to do a camo cake for hubby... I've seen a few on here but have no idea how I would do the pattern / apply the icing to the cake to get that look.
Any ideas? Anyone? icon_confused.gif

7 replies
Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 8

Use crusting buttercream. Just put the different colors on there in a variety of sizes and it doesn't matter what the shape is. Wait for about 15 minutes and then smooth with a Viva papertowel.

blessed7ofus Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks I will try it...

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 8

Ditto to Bubbl3h3ad's method, except I think I used a foam roller (Melvira method) to smooth mine.

heather208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather208 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 8

I just did a camo cake on fondant. I used an oak leaf pattern cut out of wax paper. I mixed about 4 colors. a light tan, light olive green, dark brown and darker olive green. Mix your colors with vodka. Brush the whole cake over with the light tan. It doesn't have to completely cover solid and seeing the brush strokes turns out nicely. Then let it dry for a minute or two. Now use your leaf pattern and just start layering colors by laying the leaf on the cake and brushing out over the edge of the solid leaf pattern by about 1/2 to 3/4 and inch. I started with the light olive green and then used a dark then a light etc. do this until you get the look you want. My camo cake is in my photos if you would like to see the end product. =)

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 8

A different way to do the camo. I just piped stars all over the cake in the pattern of camo. I found a camo pattern online that I printed and just let it be my guide. I used the #18 star tip but warning - take a break every little bit as your hand will hurt. Lol.

Good luck and here's the one I did.

Camo & Cross http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2048928

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessed7ofus Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 1:24am
post #8 of 8

Thanks ladies, I'm procrastinating. I'll post pics when I finish.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%