How Do You Serve A Diaper Bag Cake?

Decorating By Artsygurl Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 9:33pm by Artsygurl

Artsygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Artsygurl Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 4

Hi!
I really want to make a diaper bag cake for a baby shower this Saturday but I have no clue how to cut and serve it. Can anyone tell me how to cut and serve it?

Also, how many people do you think a cake like this would serve?

Well it's not letting me upload the picture but this is the link to the cake that I'm talking about: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1979556

3 replies
Artsygurl Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 4

Anybody?

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:05am
post #3 of 4

I replied earlier but for some reason it did not post. Well, let's see if I remembered what I said!

First, when making cakes like this you can pretty much tailor the cake to be what ever size you want. For instance, if you need the cake to serve 30 people then a 12 x 18 inch cake cut, stacked and carved would suffice. Less, use a 11x15. Just remember that you will be carving some away so make sure to have the cake larger than what you want to end up with. As for the rest, then make the dimensions of the accessories match the scale of what you have decided you want the diaper bag to be. The fondant accessories will take a couple of days to dry so these would need to be worked on ahead of time. Therefore, the scale will need to be determined before you begin work on those.

I recently made a purse cake, which is not much different than this, and it was a finished size of 12x6x8". I carved it from a 12 x 18 cake. I cut 6", 5", 4" and 3" long pieces and stacked and filled them with largest on bottom working my way up to the smallest. For this diaper bag cake you would not have to taper your sizes like I did but could pretty much carve once stacked. Just make sure the cake is a good sturdy recipe and it helps if you have gotten it good and cold prior to carving then you can put on your undercoat of butter cream. Just make sure to bring back to room temperature before attempting to add the fondant.

To serve it I sliced it down in a 1 1/2 inch slice straight down and then divided that large piece into quarters.

Hope this helps!

Artsygurl Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much!! Do you know of a good sturdy cake that's easy to carve? Chocolate or vanilla?
Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%