Ribbon Stain...

Decorating By Virgiepblue Updated 12 Jun 2011 , 3:10am by fedra

Virgiepblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Virgiepblue Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:31am
post #1 of 5

I want to us ribbon around my fondant covered cake, how do I avoid my ribbon from showing the oil stain?

Thank you for the advice...

4 replies
Nellical Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nellical Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:54am
post #2 of 5

I never use ribbon on a cake, only fondant or gumpaste "ribbons" so not sure how you are trying to stick them on. Are you trying to stick the ribbon onto the fondant using frosting?

Try using royal icing instead, just a few dots to just tack it on with a little more at the ends. You can make it using meringue powder and 10x and it is really good for sticking thiings together. I think Wilton has a good recipe.

The trouble is that if you are using a satin ribbon, anything you use is probably going to seep through.

You can try using fondant ribbon. You can stick it on by painting a little bit of water onto the cake then rolling the strip around the cake. Then you can brush it with luster dust. You will have a satin ribbon that you can cut through and serve with the cake.

Best of luck.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:57am
post #3 of 5

I have used satin ribbon on cakes, and just simply coat the entire ribbon lightly with crisco before attaching to the cake with royal icing. The ribbon will be a tad darker, but will be uniform in color.

Good Luck,
Kat

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:06am
post #4 of 5

Just wrap it around and use a clean pin at the back to attach. Oil shouldn't seep out of fondant onto a ribbon.

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:10am
post #5 of 5

I cut a strip of food grade acetate sheet a little wider than my ribbon, put double sided tape on the acerate and attach the ribbon to the acetate and then I place ribbon on cake. No oily stains for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%