Wedding Cake Help

Decorating By Pattycakes87 Updated 14 Jun 2011 , 4:45pm by Baker_Rose

Pattycakes87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pattycakes87 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 7

I've been asked to do this cake:

Two questions

Any tips on working on the side of the cake? (the garlands?) Never really been good at that as usually mistaken vary in size.

Also, what do you think is in the middle of each garland? Can't really tell but it looks like something was done with a star tip.

Thanks in advance

6 replies
VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 7

There's a garland spacer tool you can get to mark out the starts and finishes of the garland on the top of the cake. I've used it and just having the spacing correct was half the battle. It also has some presses that you can push into crusted buttercream to give you a pattern- though it doesn't have three of them in varying sizes like that, but if you did one it would make it much easier to eye the other two. Or you could try to make your own pattern/ stencil out of some flexible thin plastic. Cut out the line you want with an exacto knife, and then lay it gently over your crusted buttercream, then trace into the cake with a knife or tool, and then pipe over it. I don't know what's in the middle, I agree, some sort of dot thing.

On another topic- I NEVER get asked to do stuff like this- is your bride having a totally retro wedding? icon_smile.gif

Pattycakes87 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 12:24am
post #3 of 7

On another topic- I NEVER get asked to do stuff like this- is your bride having a totally retro wedding? icon_smile.gif[/quote]

I guess so. This is the first time I've been asked to do something like this. I haven't seen this design in sometime

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 12:30am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattycakes87

Also, what do you think is in the middle of each garland? Can't really tell but it looks like something was done with a star tip.

Yes, it's a star tip.

Pattycakes87 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 7:04am
post #5 of 7

What pan sizes were used?? I'm thinking of doing a 14" base, 10" second tier and 6" for the top. Each layer 4" high. That should work right?

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 7:23am
post #6 of 7

It looks like they used 14 10 and 8 and 12 and 8 on the sides, but I agree with you 14 10 and 6 would look nice w/10 and 6 on the side. Have fun!

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 7

Just be sure those stairs are level or they look weird. The "things" in between the garland is a simple shell that extends to the top, a classic side decoration. I agree with auntiecake that the center cake is a 14-10-8 with 12-8 on the sides. I like the proportion better with a 14-10-6, but it depends on your total servings.

Blast from the past........

Tami icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%