S'mores Trouble

Baking By Cream Updated 12 Jun 2011 , 7:35pm by Cream

Cream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cream Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,

just made some s'mores cupcakes today which were a bit of a disaster!

First of all i'm Bristish so we don't have graham crackers here so i used digestive biscuits instead, along wth some butter and sugar from the martha stewart recipe.

The cakes came out looking great but when taking them out of the cupcake wrappers the crumbs fell apart and the texture was more like dust rather than a nice firm crunch.

What didi i do wrong?

I baked the biscuit crumbs first for 6 minutes as the instructions said then on batch 2 baked them for 10 mins.

Still the same results!

I noticed that on other recipes some ppl put marshmallows or cubes of chocolate on the crust before baking it, is this meant to glue the crumbs together?

Also does any1 use marshmallow fluff for the topping? I made an italian meringue but my husband said it was just like air and tasteless despite the vanilla and vanilla bean! Damn cheek!

Any help would be fantastic!
xxxxxxxx

2 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 3

Yeah, husbands! (Just kidding - I'm sure he's wonderful!). You might need a little more butter in the mix. I was brought up on graham crackers and I've had digestive biscuits and I think it was a good substitution as far as taste goes, but maybe the differences in the two recipes is what's causing your problem. Since chocolate is an ingredient in s'mores, you might give putting some chocolate in the crust a whirl, but don't overbake it, because it might burn (well, not burn, but you know how overheated chocolate gets). Too bad about the IMBC - I can't imagine why it didn't have a stronger taste of vanilla. Does your DH have a cold, perchance? Let me know how things work out if you decide to try this again. S'mores just totally take me back to my camping trips as a kid, when we'd roast marshmallows around the campfire and turn them into s'mores. Ah, my lost and misspent youth!

Cream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cream Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 3

aww thanks Marianna!

No my hubby doesn't have a cold, he's just brutally honest icon_smile.gif)! I will try adding a bit of extra butter to see if this holds the curmbs together a bit better and let u know how they turn out!
I want to get it just right :0

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%