Omgosh! I Think I Am Ruining My Friend's Cake Help!

Decorating By ohmeohmommy Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 12:19am by ohmeohmommy

ohmeohmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohmeohmommy Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 20

So I am making this cake for a friend's daughter's 6th birthday. I think I tried too many new things at once. I tackled the parrot that I formed out of fondant and RKT. My friend requested a whipped cream icing. I haven't used it before so I looked online and saw that others had used it as an undercoating. Either they lied or I am just doing it wrong.
The icing just drips and melts right off the cake!!! The second layers slides off the first!!! How will I be able to cover this in fondant if it's gonna drip everywhere! Right now I have both tiers in the freezer separate. Each tier has 2 layers so far. I want one more on the bottom layer.
Please if you have any tips, let me know! Should I scrap the whole thing and start over?
Thanks,
Marla

19 replies
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 20

I would scrape off the whipped cream icing , and make a crusting buttercream icing instead . The fondant shouln't slide off then . Good luck icon_smile.gif

ohmeohmommy Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 20

I haven't even started to apply the fondant. So is whipped cream icing not a good choice with fondant? or did I just do it wrong?

wiggler Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 20

Im no expert , you will probably get loads of more informed replies but I think its probably the icing that is the problem . I've only been making cakes since Christmas . I never use a whipped cream icing , always buttercream and dont have too much trouble . Sorry I cant be of more help . Hopefully some of the experts on here see your post . Ive learned loads here but Im still a beginner really . Good luck

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 20

Whipped cream needs to be kept in the fridge and that doesn't work well with fondant.

Whipped cream will also lose its fluffiness after a while, unless it's stabilized with gelatin.

When your friend asked for whipped cream, she probably meant the whipped icing that the grocery store uses, which you can buy by the bucket at Sam's...but I would just scrape off the whipped cream and start over with your normal buttercream.

ohmeohmommy Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 20

I didn't use whipped cream. I used whipped icing that I made. My fridge is having problems (When it rains it pours). I think the icing was too soft. the cakes have been in the freezer for a while now and are hardened. The icing is no longer drippy. I'm wondering if I should press on and attempt the fondant now. Or I could set the cakes out and see if they icing starts to melt again. So frustrating!

wiggler Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 20

I'd be careful , see if the icing melts first icon_smile.gif

ohmeohmommy Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 20

It melts! OK... new plan. The whipped mess is coming off! Lets see if I can salvage the cakes or if I have to scrap the whole thing!
I got the top tier off and redone. Now to see about the bottom tier. What a mess I have made!!! No more than one new thing per cake from now on!! I was also trying a semi new recipe that turned out too moist and flimsy to hold fondant. I figured that out before it was too late at least!
Thanks for the help! If anyone has other suggestions please let me know!

sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 20

I think that whip cream would be too wet/moist for fondant. Fondant absorbs moisture from what ever icing is below it. If its whip cream then the fondant will melt.
I tried to decorate a home made whip cream cake with fondant pieces. Disaster MMF started to melt. I always whip my own up from heavy cream and powder sugar. Since its usually eaten the same day I stopped putting the gelatin in it.

I have never used the store bought non dairy whip topping they sell at the cake supply store, maybe that one is different? They told me at the store that one is easy to color & frost with & requires no refrigeration.

ohmeohmommy Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 9:28pm
post #10 of 20

It melts! OK... new plan. The whipped mess is coming off! Lets see if I can salvage the cakes or if I have to scrap the whole thing!
I got the top tier off and redone. Now to see about the bottom tier. What a mess I have made!!! No more than one new thing per cake from now on!! I was also trying a semi new recipe that turned out too moist and flimsy to hold fondant. I figured that out before it was too late at least!
Thanks for the help! If anyone has other suggestions please let me know!

wiggler Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:53pm
post #11 of 20

How did the cake turn out ? icon_smile.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 20

Whipped cream can be a very good icing, but it must be refrigerated and it can be unstable. Sometimes stabilizers like gelatin are added to keep the whip cream, well, stable and to keep it from melting, and to help it hold it's shape, but keep in mind again, it must be refrigerated!

I never try anything new on a special cake that I haven't practiced yet. While I'm caking, I have to keep reminding myself: Stick with what you know, follow your gut and good artists know when to stop!

I hope this helps,
tokazodo

ohmeohmommy Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:55am
post #13 of 20

The caked turned out GREAT! I pretty much had to start over at 5PM, but I finished it and delivered it. My friend was thrilled! I'll post a pic when I am home. (we are out of town till tomorrow). Thanks for all the help! The forum is fantastic!!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:40am
post #14 of 20

Glad to hear the cake was a success. Can't wait to see it.

wiggler Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 10:53pm
post #15 of 20

delighted it went well ,looking forward to seeing it too!

ohmeohmommy Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:39pm
post #16 of 20

My Parrot cake! Very proud of it! I think it turned out pretty darn good for the amateur that I am!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:58pm
post #17 of 20

I think you did a pretty darn good cake. The water came out wonderful, and your parrot is as cute as can be. Good job. I'm sorry you had your problems getting here, but clearly it was worth the effort.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:17pm
post #18 of 20

That cake is SO adorable! You really pulled it off! I'm sad that I didn't see this post earlier... whipped icing under fondant is a big no no from everyone I know that has tried it. The icing is not stable enough I guess, and it being a 'wet' icing can start to break down the fondant. I've always heard of bad things happening when people try it. I'm so sorry you were wrestling with it, but you certainly showed that cake who's boss. Great save!

wiggler Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 4:55pm
post #19 of 20

FANTASTIC JOB !!

ohmeohmommy Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:19am
post #20 of 20

Thanks All! I'm pretty proud of it. The decorating was definitely the easy part!! It would have been fun if I hadn't been on time crunch from my mistakes. Live and learn!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%