Green Tea Cupcake Recipe

Baking By integlspwr Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 11:26am by artscallion

integlspwr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
integlspwr Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:08am
post #1 of 4

has anyone tried to make a green tea cupcake with a wasc recipe.

Here is what i used the cupcakes turned out very pretty but there was no taste of green tea what so ever?

1 box white cake mix (DH)
1c flour
1c sugar
1cup sour cream
5 egg whites
2Tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon clear vanilla
1 1/3 cup vanilla creamer
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoon Matcha powder

Sifted all the dry together and it came out really deep green color to it when i was mixing it.

They even baked up nicely and all.

I went in and tried one and there was no taste of green tea at all to the cupcake. Anything i doing wrong? maybe the box mix i used, or the vanilla extract, should i have left that out.

I got a suggestion of adding some green tea ice cream. What would i have to add less off when using ice cream. I presume the coffee creamer?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

3 replies
FabricGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabricGal Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 7:27am
post #2 of 4

Here's what I would do, just as an experiment.

Get some green tea bags and make an infusion to use in the cake. I'd use maybe 3 tea bags and pour 4 ounces of boiling water over them. Let it steep and cool. I usually squeeze the tea bags to get every last bit of flavor from them. Make sure none of the tea leaves have gotten loose--if so, pour it through layers of cheesecloth to get rid of the "grass."

Use a box of white cake mix (DH) and follow directions, but sub out the water and use the green tea infusion instead. Bake a cake or cuppies as directed, then taste.

I've had really good results making a smaller batch of items using half a box of cake mix--just made 12 maple cream cuppies tonight. I used DH Classic White cake mix, and sorta "cut" the bag of dry ingredients in half with my fingers and eyeball-measured it, poured it into my mixing bowl. My fingers held the other half of the cake mix inside it's little package.

I used 2 eggs, 1/2 C plus 1/6 C water* (you'd be using 1/2 C plus 1/6 C of the green tea), and 1 T vegetable oil.

Hope this helps!

*I used a mixture of cream and Grade B maple syrup.

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 11:06am
post #3 of 4

I've not made green tea cake but I have made green tea buttercream and
I think you're on track with the Matcha powder, perhaps add another tbsp since wasc extends the box mix. And maybe the vanilla creamer is overpowering (I usually just use water or milk in my wasc). Try just water or milk. If you do the melted ice cream you may need to reduce the sugar.
Good luck!!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 11:26am
post #4 of 4

I agree with afunk. I've made green tea shortbread cookies using mathca powder. I think it will work much better than actual tea because it's a much more concentrated form of the flavor.

Here is the cookie recipe so you can see proportionally, how much I used. It had a distinct, but not overpowering green tea flavor. And you can see there are no other flavors to compete with it, other than the lemon which I think enhanced and brought out the tea flavor.

6 1/4 ounces Flour
1/4 cup Sugar
1/2 tablespoon Matcha (green Tea Powder)
1 teaspoon Finely Shredded Lemon Peel
1/2 cup Butter

Your recipe has about 8 cups of other ingredients. So you should probably use closer to 4 tbsp matcha.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%