Color Of Homemade Vanilla?

Baking By Kitagrl Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 7:56am by tinygoose

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 6

I was wondering what the color should be of homemade vanilla? I've had some steeping for maybe 3 months or so, I know it needs to go another 3 months I guess...anyway store bought pure vanilla is extremely dark. So far, mine is semi-dark...maybe half as dark as store bought.

I'm wondering what color I should be going for, to know when its "done" or strong enough? I think I have about 6 split beans in maybe 30-ish ounces of vodka? (Not sure the exact volume).

Thanks!

5 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 6

My vanilla is very dark. I started about 15 beans in enough everclear to cover and steeped for a couple of months, then added a pint of vodka and steeped for another 4 months. The higher alcohol content in everclear supposedly extracts more flavor. I've been pouring off about half of the extract every 6 months and adding more beans and vodka. Gooooood stuff, but very dark.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

My vanilla is very dark. I started about 15 beans in enough everclear to cover and steeped for a couple of months, then added a pint of vodka and steeped for another 4 months. The higher alcohol content in everclear supposedly extracts more flavor. I've been pouring off about half of the extract every 6 months and adding more beans and vodka. Gooooood stuff, but very dark.

Oh okay I should add more beans then....the instructions I've seen say only 3 beans so I added 6, but obviously I should put more. Thanks!

By the way...I see mine is not only getting vanilla bean seeds in it (which is fine) but a few pieces of woody fragments...I guess I just let that sink to the bottom before I pour any out?

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 6

Mine is very dark. When ever a cake recipe calls for vanilla essence, I use vanilla pods, I scrape the seeds out then put the remainder of the bean in my vodka bottle. I start out the home made vanilla process with the whole beans (split) and keep adding the split and scraped beans and top it up with vodka every now and then.

I use vanilla pods when baking and vanilla essence in things like buttercream. I find the cooking process releases the vanilla flavouring out of the pods.

Yes, the woody bits are completely normal. If you want to get rid of them (it takes out the seeds too though) you can pour your essence through a brand new pair of tights (Think they're called panty-hose in the US maybe??) into a container or bottle.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:34am
post #5 of 6

Kitagrl, mine is 16 beans to two cups Grey Goose Vodka. When I first used it when it was four months old, I could not believe this incredible taste existed. I now use 50/50 vbp and homemade. Mine is very dark. The cost ended up being pretty steep, but I use it as a selling point. And it makes a huge difference in the taste.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:56am
post #6 of 6

I just made up 10 little 5oz bottles this week. My recipes is a 7 month vanilla. They are already amber colored after 1 week. I put two split, extract grade beans in each 5oz bottle. We'll see. I read that to test the vanilla, put one tsp in a cup of milk and sip to check the flavor/strength. You aren't suppose to taste it from the bottle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%