Lemon Icing?????

Baking By NanaCin Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 5:55pm by deuceofcakes

NanaCin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaCin Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 11:32am
post #1 of 16

I would like to make a cake for my brothers birthday and he loves lemon icing. Never made lemon icing before and was wondering if any has a recipe they would want to share.

Any help appreciated. icon_smile.gif

15 replies
Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 16

Hi- just a quick response... you can take your favorite buttercream frosting and either add Limoncello(Italian Lemon flavored liquor) or just add pure lemon extraxct to it
. This will give you a nice lemon flavor.

Alery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alery Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 16

The same basic idea as Julie53, I take my buttercream and add some fresh lemon juice and zest from a lemon. Just add a little at a time (about 1 tsp zest & 1 tbsp juice at first) until you get the right flavor.

ljchevygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljchevygirl Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 16

I had a neighbor who wanted lemon icing and I just added the pure lemon extract instead of vanilla in my buttercream and she loved it.

NanaCin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaCin Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks for all the suggestions, I was wondering do all of you make your buttercream with shortening or just all butter. I have made it both ways.

Thanks again.

ljchevygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljchevygirl Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 16

I make mine with shortening. I haven't tried it with butter yet.

EmmyNoah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmmyNoah Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 16

I make a swiss meringue buttercream and then add lemon curd at the end . It is really great.

bakemeacake78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeacake78 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 16

I use shortening in my buttercream, and for my lemon icing I just use my standard buttercream recipe and use lemon bakery emulsion as the flavoring. AMAZING

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyNoah

I make a swiss meringue buttercream and then add lemon curd at the end . It is really great.

That just made my mouth water!!! LOL

EmmyNoah Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 16

It really is goodicon_smile.gif

Mikail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikail Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 16

I use the IMBC and lemon curd recipe from Whimsical Bakehouse. Wonderful and everyone loves it. You can look up their recipes on their website. Not sure if they have the curd though...

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyNoah

Oh, that made my mouth water too! Is there a ratio of how much lemon curd to SMBC you use? I'm just wondering how much it might change the texture of the buttercream.

Thanks.... icon_smile.gif

EmmyNoah Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:59pm
post #13 of 16

I usually go by taste. Make the SMBC as normal - even adding the vanilla. Then just start adding a cup of the curd and mixing and tasting, until you have reached the taste that you really like.

kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 5:17pm
post #14 of 16

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lemon-Cream-Cheese-Frosting-2/Detail.aspx

I have used this one two different times and it turns out really good. I used a combination of lemon juice and lemon extract.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 5:37pm
post #15 of 16

I use icing fruits to flavor icing (and cake.) Great line of products.

deuceofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deuceofcakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 5:55pm
post #16 of 16

I've made it both ways: SMBC made with butter and added lemon curd (not sure how much), which gives the icing a pale yellow color and is really good, or SMBC with a combination of lemon zest, fresh lemon juice and both lemon and vanilla extracts, starting with a tablespoon of the juice and a teaspoon of each extract, until I have a flavor I like. You need the lemon extract or you'll end up adding too much liquid (lemon juice) to the buttercream. This ends up staying more of a creamy color (more white than yellow). The good news is that either way, you can't go wrong. The curd route is certainly more work and takes longer, especially if you make your own curd.

Regardless of how you make it, the lemon goes wonderfully with seedless raspberry jam (take a good quality raspberry jam and pass it through a strainer). Put a thin layer of the jam next to the buttercream in between the layers. Yum!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%