Does Anyone Actually Eat Fondant???

Decorating By shellypf Updated 23 Jan 2007 , 4:13pm by KonfectionKonnection

shellypf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellypf Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 4:20am
post #1 of 31

Hello all...I have tried MMF a few times and am finding it looks awesome but people just don't seem to like it as an icing to eat. I was at a wedding once where the fondant was actually removed from the cake before serving...do you all remove the fondant before serving? Thanks so much...LOVE THIS SITE!!!!

30 replies
AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 4:27am
post #2 of 31

Yes, everyone loves the MMF. I put lemon, orange or almond flavoring in mine depending on the cake flavor. However, I must admit that everyone is so use to the old chemical tasting fondant that they are hesitant to try it. What a shame too when I find it very tasty. They are use to the having to remove the old type of fondant because it does taste so bad.

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 4:27am
post #3 of 31

I think it can depend on the brand/taste of the fondant. Most people agree that Wilton's fondant is great to work with but the taste...not so much. Some people don't like the "chewiness" of the fondant. This can be somewhat eliminated by rolling the fondant very thin. I do not remove the fondant before serving. It can be removed...or eaten around...by the person eating it. I think it's all a matter of personal taste.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 4:28am
post #4 of 31

I agree with you. Somebody said that on the a progam they watched with a Disney wedding they actually took it off before serving. I'd love to know how they do that and still have a good looking cake.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 4:34am
post #5 of 31

I made my first fondant cake from my Wilton class and took it into work. I told everyone about the fondant and how they won't like it so take it off. Most of the people ate it (Wilton brand) and those that didn't hated it. So, to each their own. I want to try the MMF.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 4:40am
post #6 of 31

i was making mmf for awhile and always got a good response. now i like to use Vanilla satin ice. it is so yummy. expensive but worth my rep as a cake decorator. i want people to know that what i give them will look good, but taste good as well. it is not at all chewy like wilton or mmf (although mmf is decent) and like someone else said, if you roll it thin, it blends well with the cake and its flavors.

shellypf Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 4:53am
post #7 of 31

Thanks for the input...I see the satin ice comes in tubs for about $25...how much cake does that cover? I guess you buy the white and tint yourself? and one more question...is it easy to work with?

melysa Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 5:53am
post #8 of 31

hi shelly, the only size i have purchased is the 20lb bucket for $67 including shipping. with one bucket, i recently covered one five tier cake (4"-12" rounds) with LOTS of overlay and fondant decorations, one two tier, and a couple smaller one layer cakes. if you need a link for the website let me know and i'll find it for you. now the actual website for the satin ice manufacturer will give the amounts needed per cakes size in ounces, so it is helpful. i rolled mine out to be about 1/4" thick, though i think it can be done thinner to last longer.

i like the way it rolls out easily, much softer (hence the name SATIN) than mmf. i buy the white and mix in the colors. i just ordered more vanilla and also chocolate which i am looking forward to trying!

by the way, i am a hobby home baker, so i dont purchase in bulk for everything, but i find that i make enough cakes to use it up quickly and its worth it to me that people enjoy both aspects of a cake, the taste and the look. both are very important in my opinion. i dont think fondant should be just for looks.

KelCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KelCake Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:00am
post #9 of 31

I actually love fondant. I like Satin Ice and Choco Pan. To me the chocolate satin ice tastes like a Tootsie Roll. It's yummy!

I use wilton for figures and accent. I like the way it models just not crazy about the taste.

melysa Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:05am
post #10 of 31

http://www.satinfinefoods.com/ordering.shtml

the guide for how much you'll need on your cakes is interesting...nearly half of what i'd use with mmf . this stuff is easier to roll out i think.

http://www.intotheoven.com/rolled-fondant-c-2_145.html

this is where i buy it...shipping is very low! only $11 to my zip code for a 20lb bucket. other places charge $20-$30 to ship. you can also buy 5 lbs for $20 and i think 2lbs for $12. the larger it is the cheaper it is.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:05am
post #11 of 31

This weekend I took two fondant-covered cakes to a birthday party, one covered in Satin Ice and the other in MMF. The cakes were eaten by adults and kids alike, but almost everyone didn't eat the fondant - except the kids! LOL

I personally like the taste of Satin Ice for a couple of bites, but the texture ends up getting to me.

I vehemently disagree with servers removing the fondant from the cake before serving it. I have heard of that happening ALOT.

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:16am
post #12 of 31

It's a matter of personal taste I think. I am a good ole buttercream kinda gal, and while I am looking forward to experimenting with fondant I won't eat it. However, I have a friend who as soon as she saw my first (and only) fondant cake said "wow, that looks sooo yummy, I LOVE fondant". Blech, I ended up throwing most of that cake away because I couldn't stand the thought of the fondant contaminating the cake (it was homemade fondant). It wasn't horrible, I just can't stomach it. My mom and son (who's three, go figure icon_razz.gif) loved it. I like the idea of rolling it thin so that it merely accents the cake, but I'm sure that takes a lot of practice!

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:18am
post #13 of 31

I don't mind fondant but I wouldn't go buy it to eat out of the tub. icon_lol.gif I've yet to try Satin Ice, but I'm sure I'm gonna like that one! thumbs_up.gif

Fondant really isn't GROSS per se, but people aren't just used to having something chewy with their cake! If only we were all British. icon_cool.gif

kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:24am
post #14 of 31

I flavour my fondant as well. However as I also cut and plate up other wedding cakes brought to the club, I remove a lot of fondant. If it's dried out and inedible or has been requested to be removed by the bride it's gone.

www.kincaellan.com

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:30am
post #15 of 31

My SIL loves (Wilton's) fondant, while the rest of my family can take it or leave it. For us it is not the taste but the texture of fondant that we do not like. We like a melt in your mouth type of icing.

When I do cover a cake with fondant I do use my regular amount of buttercream under it. That way if someone doesn' want to eat the fondant they still have icing. I don't think I would remove it before serving personally, but to each his own there.

On cakes I do for my family I will do a buttercream cake with fondant accents, so then I get the best of both. icon_smile.gif

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 6:35am
post #16 of 31

I used cherry Koolaid once to make red MMF and it was yummy. Tasted like a sweet tart!

shellypf Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:53am
post #17 of 31

Thanks everyone.....this has been good stuff to hear!

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:01am
post #18 of 31

i wish i didn't like of it -I have about 5lbs of it on each hip!esp the mmf!!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:07am
post #19 of 31

My Aunt LOVES tropical flavored Wilton fondant!

Go Figure!

Beth in KY

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:07am
post #20 of 31

Mqguffey--Flavoring/coloring MMF with KoolAid sounds really interesting! I would like to try that--do you mind sharing what you did? (For instance, the sweetened or unsweetend? How much KoolAid to add?) Thank you so much! (My DH loves cherry KoolAid and fondant--this would be a real treat for him!) icon_razz.gif

mariecar6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariecar6 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:32am
post #21 of 31

My DH and daughters love fondant and I have clients that specifically request it. I use a combination of Wilton's recipe and the recipe I was taught where I studied.
I once delivered a wedding cake to a fancy restaurant. A very famous decorator had delivered a cake, also. An employee took me to see the cake and we couldn't find it. There was a dummy on display. Finally, we noticed a cake box underneath a large, heavy tray full of glasses. The employee almost had a heart attack! When the tray was lifted and she opened the box, the cake was intact! That's how hard the fondant was!
Marie

bohemia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemia Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:39am
post #22 of 31

I use my secret homemade fondant and it's a hit everytime! But it's a matter of taste, there are some that don't care for it. I personally will eat fondant when it's fresh made and still soft but I don't like the wedding cakes that have been decorated for a week or so, the fondant turns rock hard and I tend to pass on that.

AshleyLogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyLogan Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:40am
post #23 of 31

I make a batch of MMF and sometimes I eat it all before it gets on the cake.
I love the taste.

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:43am
post #24 of 31

I've only known kids to eat fondant.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:53am
post #25 of 31

All my cakes are fondant, we don`t do BC on the out side, I think 50% of my clients love the taste, and 50% hates it, but 100% thinks it looks better, I do make it in my kitchen from scratch, about 8 kilos each batch, with a drop of almond essence, and never never cover a cake more than 2 days before is gonna be eaten

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 4:00am
post #26 of 31

Yep, I admit they do...
I further admit that the MMF that is left over is consumed by me but don't tell anybody ok? lol
When it gets hard, I take a bit here and there.

I think the kids like it, the adults haven't complained and if they don't like it there is a smattering of BC under it so they can just ignore the fondant and move on to the BC. icon_lol.gif

I will be trying SatinIce really soon, some kind soul posted a link for the website so I thought I would try it. Oh, and I have flavored the MMF too and that got good reviews. icon_smile.gif
Hope this helps,

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 4:28am
post #27 of 31

KonfectionKonnection, I just dumped a packed of the unsweetened Koolaid into the melted marshmallows when I was making MMF, before adding the powdered sugar.

A previous attempt at making red MMF had failed miserably. I learned later that the large amount of gel color you have to put in to make red (and black) makes the fondant hard to work with. Mine certainly was, it ripped repeatedly.

The Koolaid version worked really well. I *think* I still had to add a little more red color, but not nearly as much as before and I was able to get the cake covered. (It's the martini cake in my photos.)

Don't see why this couldn't be done with other Koolaid flavors. Ooh, grape. Or lime. Yum! Have fun!

Sugarbunz Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 4:35am
post #28 of 31

Is there a big difference in the taste of MMF and regular fondant? Specifically the recipe I got out of Toba Garrett's (Well decorated Cake) book? I don't know if it's the texture or the taste I didn't care for, but the idea of marshmallows as fondant seems more appealing than gelatin, corn syrup and sugar. Of course, I used almond extract as well, which I'm not fond of to begin with.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 4:38am
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

but the idea of marshmallows as fondant seems more appealing than gelatin, corn syrup and sugar.

marshmallows are gelatin, corn syrup and sugar.

Sugarbunz Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 4:57am
post #30 of 31

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. icon_razz.gif - but the idea of MARSHMALLOWS just sounds better. I've got this wierd mental block on fondant going and I REALLY want to like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%