No One Eats The Fondant, Why Spend So Much Time?

Decorating By Lovin_Cakes30 Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 5:20am by Corrie76

BurnsyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BurnsyJ Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 1:04am
post #31 of 36

When I use the Wilton fondant, I flavor it with a little almond extract. My 14 year old son loves it. I recently started making this MMF http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16228/buttercream-flavored-marshmallow-fondant. I think it tastes okay too.

Noobz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noobz Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:38am
post #32 of 36

Personally being in the UK I think we leave fondant on the plate and eat the cake! I don't think its a big deal over here because its the norm. We don't care for lashings of buttercream like our american cousins icon_lol.gif

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:11am
post #33 of 36

I have found, as mentioned earlier, people assume they do not like fondant, because of days gone by, They have no clue of they like it now. When I can get them to actually taste it - they love it. BUT... and this makes all the difference... It has to be placed on the cake the day before they taste it. It picks up the flavor of the BC underneath it by then and also some of the chewiness mellows out.

I have found this to be true of purchased or MMF. Also, you all need to give Wilton another try. the have improved it and it's actually not bad. I'm not going to say great - but it's not at all like eating cardboard anymore.

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:46am
post #34 of 36

I have made Michele Foster's fondant a couple of times and it does taste good, I have no problem eating it, it's very tasty, as for glycerin mentioned earlier go to a cake supplier and get the food grade glycerin, this is in fact what I used in the fondant.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:56am
post #35 of 36

I have found that people are eating my fondant. I use Fondarific. The fondant not only tastes good, but it melds well with the frosting flavors as well, especially the mocha. Also, when you get near a cake with Fondarific, the aroma draws you in. Plus, it is made with no chemicals and fits in with my baking style. I bought every brand, except Massa (which I want to try based on FromScratchSF's recommendation) and they were either tougher to use or tasted bad. I got the samples from Fondarific and everyone loved them. It works for me. If I base my business on the value of scratch baking taste, my fondant must be good. Chocopan tastes good too. I don't make my own because I do not enjoy making it.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:20am
post #36 of 36

gosh, I haven't posted in FOREVER, but wanted to throw in my 2 cents, I've only ever used MMF- but only for decorations. That's pretty much what the people in my area expect from me is BC iced cakes with MMF decorations...pretty much a compromise, I get to utilize fondant for decorations that don't work in BC and the party guests get to enjoy the BC icing without much 'stripping' of their dessert. The parties i've been to, it seems to me that the little ones seem to really enjoy eating the discarded MMF decorations anyways- so really at the end of the day the cake, as a whole, gets enjoyed by all. BTW, MMF totally works well with tappits- I just knead in extra PS into the small amount I'm using, roll it out thin (as in 1/32 of an inch!) and let it sit out for at least 30 min. before pressing out the letters.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%