Cutting Out Letters From Fondant - Specific Font!

Decorating By kimmycat Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 6:09am by shens00k

kimmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmycat Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 7

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to make a tool box for my best friend's mechanic husband. I'm good with all parts EXCEPT getting that stupid logo right:

http://images.wikia.com/hotwheels/images/4/4d/Snap-on.gif

This will be the make or break of the cake and I was wondering what the best way to recreate this would be? Printing and cutting out around it?

Any tips would be much appreciated!!! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 7

I would buy a brand new sharp X-acto blade, print the logo out on the paper just the size you need it to be, rolled your gumpaste pretty thin, let it dry just for few minutes, till its not tacky, place your paper template on top of gumpaste and cut every single letter very carefully and neat. Let it dry little bit more till its not stretches when you handle it, and you got yourself an edible art!!!!

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 7

You can cut the letters out of gumpaste. Print out the letters and glue to a piecs of card stock, card board or foam core for strength. The other two options is to revers print and do a chocolate transfer ot a buttercream frozen transfer. I would opt for the chocolate transfer. Outline the letters with tip 2 or 3 and let harden. The fill in with same tip. Make sure your chocolate flows but is not hot or too warm as it will melt your outline. HTH

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 7

You could also do them in royal icing. Outline with full strength, "flood" the letters with thinned out royal. So easy.

Make an extra set in case a letter break... you'll have a back up.

kimmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmycat Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you all VERY much for your suggestions! Now I have some great options at my disposal. I will have a picture up in a few days when it's all done icon_smile.gif

ocfrank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ocfrank Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:51am
post #6 of 7

Hi kimmycat,
I would highly recommend sugar sheets..... Michaels just got this new product from Wilton. They make carving out letters so much easier.

shens00k Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shens00k Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:09am
post #7 of 7

I've recently started using a new technique I saw on Amazing Wedding Cakes. Screen Printing. And it's really simple, but a little time consuming. I bought some transparencies from Staples, the kind you use with an overhead projector. For best results, I print my font on regular paper, then tape the transpanrency on top and trace font with a permanent marker. Then just cut of ur letters. Put the transparency on ur cake and apply a light layer of royal icing. Use a stiff flat spatula or piece of heavy cardstock and drag across ur transparency to smooth and even out ur icing. Then just gently remover your home made stencil and there you go icon_smile.gif I really like this technique for making company-specific logos because it gives you a sleeker look. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%