Coloring Gum Paste

Decorating By CakeWelder Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 5:22am by CakeWelder

CakeWelder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWelder Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 4

I have to make a dozen long stem red roses for my mom's 70th birthday. I am going to be making the rose blooms out of gum paste and I want a really deep red color but do not want the bitter taste or everybody at the party to have a red mouth when they are eating them. I know that Jello has been used to color fondant base then super red added to give the deep kick it needs.
Has anybody ever tried the jello method with gum paste? I wonder if it would ruin the consistency and workability of the paste.
Mike

3 replies
sparkle25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkle25 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 4

I've never tried the Jello technique, but I do know Wilton makes a "no taste red" that won't make your icing bitter no matter how much of it you add.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 4

Gumpaste dries rock hard and generally isn't eaten. So I don't think you need to worry that much about the color on the roses staining anyone's mouth or tasting bad. It's hard to get a nice deep red though. It seems to dry a lot lighter than it starts, when using red mixed into the gumpaste. I've tried painting them before and that works, but when you paint with super red, you need to make it a couple shades lighter than you want the finished product, because that dries darker.

CakeWelder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWelder Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 5:22am
post #4 of 4

Yeah, I might try to make the roses out of MMF because I want them to be eaten.
Thanks
Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%