Help With This Cake Please Http://ediblecrafts.craftgossi

Decorating By labmom Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 1:15am by cheatize

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 12

Help Please

I posted a while ago about having to do a cake which has what I call doilie plaques all around the edges of the cake. In fact the cake is almmost not able to be seen. http://ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com/files/2009/05/rswed1-252x300.jpg

some one pointed me toward a cake stamp of a doilie The cling stamps and one large wood stamp but they are too small. I haven't found anything that would be that large, tried paper doilies for impressions. they didn't work. I have found a doilie and frill cutter that will work to cut the fondant. I just need to find something for the impression part.

the date of the cake is 7/30 and I know these will have to dry for at least a week so if anyone can help I would so appreciate it. There is a picture of this cake on the other post of mine I don't know if I can somehow get it on here or not but if I can find it I will post here how to find it.

Please if anyone can help or give ideas that would be wonderful.. This bride won't even look at another cake..

thank you everyone

11 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 12

Maybe try a plastic or vinyl doily. Do an online search, you'll find quite a few resources for them.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 12

Why couldn't you use the doilie cutter and add a lacey type impression by using a royal icing impression plate. To do this, you will need to tape your doilie to the bottom of a sheet of plexi-glass or sheet of glass. Pipe royal icing over the doilie where the impressions would be. Let dry for several days to harden. Cut out your fondant. Flip your plexi-glass over so the side with the royal icing is facing the fondant cut-out and impress the image into fondant doilie. I have never tried this technique, but I have read about it. There is a video on youtube of Elaine MacGregor using the same technique. Just go to www.youtube.com and search Elaine MacGregor and look for Impressing a pattern into your cake.

labmom Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 12

Hi, I spent the day at joanne fabrics and found items that i thought would work for this project.

I had a real crochet doilie in my hand perfect size but just seemed too soft to make any impression. I then found a piece of round plastic canvas like you would use to make coasters with yarn.

i came home and rolled out a piece of scrap fondant and placed this round perfect size coaster on top of the fondant and rolled over it very lightly.
It worked perfect. I then cut it with the frill doilie cutter from global sugar arts. I wish it was the one that was a little larger but I think this will work.

Its not an exact doilie pattern but it is about as close as I can get. If I want more of a plain center patter all I need to do is cut the center of this coaster out and then it will be more exact but I think this is almost perfect. I am making a cake for a friend this week so i plan on seeing how it looks on her cake before i make so many and find It doesn't work. Once set I am going to make them so they are very dry ...and ready to go with many extras in case of breakages. Will let everyone know what works and doesn't thank you everyone for all your help. will post when done.

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 12

You can stiffen the crocheted doily with sugar/water like they used to do to stiffen lace. I can look up my great aunt's recipe ifyou need. That would stiffen it then you can use it for impression mat.

Or you can stiffen it using slightly diluted children's non toxic elmer's glue and allow it to dry. That would give it some body so you can use it to imprint. Just a thought.

labmom Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 12

thats a good idea.. never thought of that. wish i would have checked my email my husband just went back to the craft store to return some items that didn't work out. I would have had him pick one up for me. Well I still have time.

What do you think would work better the glue or the sugar? I remember my great aunts using the sugar.

if you have the recipie that would be great. And thank you for your help.

sewsweet2 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 12

Auntie Orel's sugar solution for starching doilies

3/4- 1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 c. water
Boil 7 minutes.

If I remember you saturate the doily in the solution sqeeze out excess then pin the doily out on a board to dry. Use waxed paper or seran wrap under the doily (I think).

Personally I would use Arlene's lace and fabric stiffener. I think it's found in the glue section. I use it when stiffening my crocheted christmas ornaments. HTH

labmom Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 11:40pm
post #9 of 12

thank youfor the information on the starch for the doilie..

how big of a doilie did you use? on your cake.. I think the one on my cake is about 4 inches.?

sewsweet2 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 11:50pm
post #10 of 12

I haven't used a doily on a cake yet.

You could also make your own design and impression mat by following my tutorial at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/abbyniemeier
The instruction are in the seed bead tutorial. Click on each picture and read the explaination below it.

You can pipe your own doily design to make an impression mat. Seems like a lot of work but it could be done.

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 12

do you have a cricut for cake. Would cut them so easy

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:15am
post #12 of 12

Sewsweet2: that is one terrific tutorial! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%