New Cake Buisness= No Life

Decorating By ambarnha Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 12:10am by ambarnha

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:21pm
post #31 of 36

I don't have any suggestions that haven't been already suggested but I will say that ANY business owner, be it cake or not, has no life. Your business IS your life, at least at first. It's the nature of the beast and something that comes with the territory. Not one big name caker started out with 20 employees. They all started and became successful by keeping costs low, finding a rhythm and doing it themselves until they established their business. Only then were they able to branch out. You can't hire someone to help you if you don't have a clear plan and a clear set schedule. If you think you have trouble now, try managing time for more than just you!

You have to know your personal limits before you can become successful. If you don't stop before you become overwhelmed, nothing will come out 100% and you can't serve inconsistency. Every cake should be 100% of what you have. This is exactly why I haven't started selling yet. I am just not to the point where I can give 100% and do my best. My best isn't there yet.

The sooner you recognize your limitations, the sooner you can get your schedule rolling flawlessly and THEN you can start bumping up production and/or hiring someone to help.

One step at a time my friend. No one ever said business was easy. And no one ever will. But if you do it right, it's totally worth it. ( my hubby and I owned a shop so I know a little about a little icon_wink.gif )

Good luck!!!

ambarnha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambarnha Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 6:18pm
post #32 of 36

Wow I love yall! Thank you so much for the advice so here is my week (please tell me if you see something that is going to cause me further problems or that could be done easier)

So Yesterday Sunday I made grocery list and cleaned my house (wow feel better all ready)

Monday I am grocery shopping and baking and crum coating

Tuesday I am making fondant (possibly gum paste if I cant find at walmart which I think they have, I am going to home make moy fondant this week but not against buying. You are right no one really eats the gum paste anyway and I have to wait 8 hrs for the consistancy to get right) and dying the fondant, I am also making the icing for the 3 cakes, and cleaning the "bakery" (down stairs of my house).

Wednesday I am dying icing and cutting fondant and making figures out of gum paste and I have one cake order for thursday so at least getting it done

Thursday decorating at least fridays cake and saturdays if I have time then I may actually have a weekend but Friday I will start preparing for next week if I am not decorating saturdays cake.

I then hope to move grocery day to sunday but otherwise keep the same schedual, what yall think?

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 6:36pm
post #33 of 36

I think it sounds like you have a workable plan. thumbs_up.gif As you go through your week & fine tune, try to aim for one day a week where you don't touch anything 'cake'. My day is Sunday. Doesn't mean that it always happens but aiming for one day keeps my hopes up! Good luck!

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 11:09pm
post #34 of 36

Wow! you're making good progress icon_smile.gif I find that - for me at least - the difference between feeling overwhelmed and feeling in charge is simply a plan. You're definitely on your way!

ambarnha Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 12:09am
post #35 of 36

sebrina- Thanks and yes I am hoping not to work at all this weekend except have someone pick up a cake and grocery shop sunday night ( I have to get my house hold groceries) as well.

ambarnha Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 12:10am
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycknits

Wow! you're making good progress icon_smile.gif I find that - for me at least - the difference between feeling overwhelmed and feeling in charge is simply a plan. You're definitely on your way!

Thanks icon_smile.gif I am trying, I really do enjoy it, evenon the busy days!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%