Need Help!!!

Decorating By laneym Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 3:28am by FrugalMommy

laneym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneym Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 1:02am
post #1 of 8

Can anyone tell me how I can get a nice deep marroon color. I have used the burgundy food coloring and tried adding a little black and red to it...but still looks a little purple...Any help...I am desperate!!!

7 replies
BurnsyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BurnsyJ Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 1:31am
post #2 of 8

I was recently trying to get red fondant, so I used Wilton's Red Red. I couldn't get it to stop looking pink. So I added a little black and it turned maroon. I had to start all over, but maybe this will help you.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 1:35am
post #3 of 8

Red and black OR red and brown will make burgandy. Keep going! icon_smile.gif

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 1:39am
post #4 of 8

it takes ALOT of color to make nice deep colors, but something that helps the color deepen is if you let it stand overnight. the colors will get darker the longer they sit.

CakeMom5001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom5001 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 1:43am
post #5 of 8

are you coloring fondant or buttercream?

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 2:01am
post #6 of 8

Start with pink first, then add your burgundy with a touch of black. Or if you are using fondant you can always start with red Satin ice, or another pre-coloured red fondant, then add your colour. Also as previously stated, your colour will deepen as it sits.

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 2:30am
post #7 of 8

I always google the color I am trying to achieve. There are a lot of painting websites that discuss colors & how to achieve them. When I googled maroon it cam up saying that it is a mix of deep red & blue. It would try starting with red & add some blue till you get your color. HTH!

FrugalMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrugalMommy Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:28am
post #8 of 8

Are you using Wilton? Try Americolor food colors (can purchase online or at Hobby Lobby).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%