Will Never Make Mmf Again!!

Decorating By BlueMoon73 Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 3:13am by ReneeFLL

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 5:28pm
post #31 of 42

Michelle Foster's fondant is delicious and so is Carrie Biggers, which is on her dvd. Never been a fan of mmf. Toba's is great also.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 5:33pm
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mena2002

Do you add it when you're making the mmf or after while you're using it?

You add it when you're making it. Here's MacsMoms Recipe that I use and like the most for MMF

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7351/marshmallow-fondant-macsmoms-bc-flavored-variation

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 5:40pm
post #34 of 42

Do you know how far in advance we could make the OP's fondant recipe? I would love to make them but would feel overwhelm if I have to make them in the same week that I make the cake. Thank you icon_smile.gif

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 5:42pm
post #35 of 42

You add it when you're making it. Here's MacsMoms Recipe that I use and like the most for MMF

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7351/marshmallow-fondant-macsmoms-bc-flavored-variation[/quote]

thank-you icon_biggrin.gif

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 5:58pm
post #36 of 42

i want to try this! i have tried MMF several times and it always ends in tears and heartbreak. icon_sad.gif i know other people have no trouble, but it just doesn't seem to be my thing.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 6:28pm
post #37 of 42

Thanks JanH....have used MMF for a long time and used others as well...I was just responding to a question on the thread asking what is different about the OP's recipe....

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 6:39pm
post #38 of 42

I have made NMR both with marshmallows, & the gelatin method. In both cases, I always add glycerin to keep it stretchy. I agree about the amount of water added. You get to know from experience/the feel if you need more or less. I always use the least amount of water 1st, cause you can always add to a recipe. I also add butter flavor extract with either my vanilla/almond. And, although a little unconventional, I actually put a little real butter in my recipe for mmf.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:40pm
post #39 of 42

I use MMF all the time and LOVE it. What I do differently is to add a heaping tablespoon full of solid shortening to the mix plus a half teaspoon full of marshmallow extract. Then to prevent drying out, I use PAM spray on a clear plastic mat I got from my local fabric store - then spray a second sheet of plastic with Pam and put it on top of the lump of fondant and roll it out. Keeping excess powdered sugar or corn starch away from the rolling procedure keeps it from cracking and when you're ready to apply it, remove the top plastic sheet and smooth with a fondant smoother then replace the top sheet and give it one last pressing with the rolling pin (to stick the mat to the fondant) then pick all three up and flip them over (the two sheets and the flattened fondant) then remove the bottom plastic sheet and use the other sheet to help flop the fondant over onto your cake. I have never had a drying problem and MMF rolls out so thinly (which most American's like) when it's still warm from being freshly made.

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 11:02pm
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

I use MMF all the time and LOVE it. What I do differently is to add a heaping tablespoon full of solid shortening to the mix plus a half teaspoon full of marshmallow extract.

I've never heard of marshmallow extract but it sounds delish, where can you purchase it?

BlueMoon73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueMoon73 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 2:35am
post #41 of 42

Thanks JanH for all the great recipes! Also everyone else who gave tips!! I loved MMF when I first made it but lately have been very frustrated!! Dry, cracking yucky! I personally do not like marshmallow or the consistency of fondant to eat, but my 13 year old loved the flavor of the "real" fondant better than MMF. Great idea to use orange extract that will definitely be something I will try!

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:13am
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMKakes

Is the glycerin fondant recipe as sickingly sweet as the mmf?

I love the look of fondant yet myself, my family, neighbors and friends (even some of the kids at church) thinks it is way too sweet especially mmf. I mix salt into my buttercream recipe to detract the extreme sweetness of powdered sugar. I have added salt to the mmf to do the same. Tasting it on it"s own(fondant) with the salt mixture, it isn't as sweet yet once combined with the cake and frosting, You'll be lying down with a sweet headache. I would love to use more fondant(I love yet it is a somewhat extra sweet too) but I would like to find a way to cut the sweetness or how to find a balance.

I use a little bit of lemon juice to help cut down on the sweetness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%