Getting All The Cakes Done In A Week....refrigerate, Freeze?

Decorating By mamabug1972 Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 6:14pm by CWR41

mamabug1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabug1972 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 2

I'm still learning...... Currently I'm doing about 5 cakes per week for family and friends. I make the cakes on Monday/Tues, make icing on Wednesday, ice cakes Thursday, cover with fondant on Friday, decorate Friday/Saturday.

Currently, I'm wrapping the cakes in plastic wrap and aluminum and freezing them in an extra refrigerator for 2-3 days. I feel like I'm wasting so much plastic/aluminum. Is there an easier way??????

1 reply
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabug1972

Currently, I'm wrapping the cakes in plastic wrap and aluminum and freezing them in an extra refrigerator for 2-3 days. I feel like I'm wasting so much plastic/aluminum. Is there an easier way??????

At high-production bakeries, plastic wrap never touches the cakes... the racks "might" be wrapped, but it's definitely not airtight and they're sometimes frozen this way for longer than a couple of days without drying out.

Freezing for 2-3 days unwrapped is nothing (refrigerating is another story). If you'd feel better covering them with something for sanitary reasons, you could bag them in foodsafe produce bags from the grocery store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%