Cleaning Up

Decorating By ReneeT Updated 2 Jun 2011 , 1:54am by angeliaaki

ReneeT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeT Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 15

Being new at this....what is the best way to clean or wash items e.i. tips, bags...etc. Everything I use seems to leave a residue.

14 replies
DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 15

Dawn is the only thing I use - oh and disposable bags!

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 15

I think some people boil water with dawn in it and soak their tools... I've never tried it though.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 15

Very hot water and soap. I usually will fill a bowl with hot water and soap, throw in my tips and bags. Then go about doing the rest of the cleaning while they soak. When everything else is done, cleaning those is pretty much a matter of rinsing the frosting off.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Very hot water and soap. I usually will fill a bowl with hot water and soap, throw in my tips and bags. Then go about doing the rest of the cleaning while they soak. When everything else is done, cleaning those is pretty much a matter of rinsing the frosting off.

Just what i do, Soak in very hot water and dawn>

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 10:54pm
post #6 of 15

Dawn & Hot Water is the perfect solution, I always fill one of the sinks with that and throw in tools, bowls and etc...as I go.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 15

For my tips and couplers I have a white mesh little zippered laundry bag (similar to the Wilton one you can buy at Michaels but mine came from the the Dollar Tree for a whole lot less). I let them soak in a bowl of hot soapy water to get the frosting off and then I toss them in the bag, zip it up, and throw it in the dishwasher. I have put some the plastic Wilton bags in the dishwasher point down with a spoon inside holding it up in the silverware holder of the dishwasher (after letting them soak in hot soapy water too and rinsing off any frosting). It didn't seem to mess them up but the ones I put in were kind of old and starting to get little slits on the part that sits on the coupler so I didn't really care if it did mess them up since I was replacing them anyway. Not sure if it would decrease the lenght of usability if you put new bags in the dishwasher. For everything else (bowls, beaters, etc) I just soak it all in hot soapy water and then toss whatever I can in the dishwasher and hand-wash anything else with regular dish detergent (sometimes takes a few washings to get all the greasiness off.) HTH

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 15

Dawn works great, but 1 time I thought I'd throw them into the dishwasher and that made the nice finish on them turn funny as I forgot and proceeded putting lemon shine in the dishwasher to as always big mistake icon_cry.gif Live and learn..
I'm just back to hot soapy water soak and then wash again in hot soapy water.

kdthatsme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdthatsme Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 15

"Very hot water and soap. I usually will fill a bowl with hot water and soap, throw in my tips and bags. Then go about doing the rest of the cleaning while they soak. When everything else is done, cleaning those is pretty much a matter of rinsing the frosting off."

I do this as well with Dawn. I put all my tips and couplers in a glass of hot water with dawn. I let that sit and soak while I clean up everything else. Then I use a bottle brush to get down into the tips.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 12:52am
post #10 of 15

dawn all the way,.

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:05am
post #11 of 15

I use dawn and water for tips and couplers, throw them in a bowl with the water level covering the tips by at least half an inch, and microwave for 5 minutes. I use disposable bags for small icing bags, and a larger "cloth" bag (with the icer tip for fast icing) which is much easier to wash than the plastic/vinyl ones that Wilton sells. After rinsing them out, I turn them inside out and throw them in the dishwasher on the top shelf. You can also use one of those baskets they sell for baby bottles/nipples in the dishwasher for the tips and small items.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:19am
post #12 of 15

Dawn and hot water.....

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:24am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Exactly what I do thumbs_up.gif

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:36am
post #14 of 15

Seconding the Dawn and hot water. I do my tips like mentioned above in the microwave, works like a charm on those tiny star tips and drop flower tips that are a PITA to clean, even with that dumb little brush Wilton sells.

I turn my bags inside out and scrub them in Dawn and hot water too, gets grease out really well.

I actually don't buy any dish soap other than Dawn. That's what they use to get oil spill crud off wildlife, and it works well even to get grease spots off clothes or vaseline out of children's hair. (Or the cat.)

angeliaaki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeliaaki Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:54am
post #15 of 15

dawn is really harsh on my skin so i stopped using it and swiched to method. their dish soap is awesome. and smells good. plus cleans just as good as dawn.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%