Can I Bake, Fill And Rough Ice Way Ahead?

Decorating By mommachris Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 8:36pm by nancyg

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:06am
post #1 of 15

Without going into the details, I'm going to be short on time the day one of my cakes is due. Has anyone here ever baked, leveled, filled and crumb-coated a cake then froze it for a couple of days? I usually wrap baked cakes in cling wrap.
I was wondering if I could just let it defrost all morning while I was a church this weekend and decorate it when I got home.

Any advise would be appreciated.
TIA
mommachris

14 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:34am
post #2 of 15

Yep.

And I've baked, leveled, filled, iced, fondant-ed, stacked, and fully decorated (including gumpaste bows, flowers, etc) entire cakes, then froze them until I needed them. On multiple occasions. No problems. icon_smile.gif

It's all in the proper storage and thawing of the cake.

mommachris Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:45am
post #3 of 15

And........how did you wrap it? icon_biggrin.gif

Mommachris

Cakepro Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:52am
post #4 of 15

I buy moving boxes from Lowe's. They come in different sizes. I just modify the box depending on how large the base is, how many tiers it is, etc., then I put the cake in it and I tape it shut. I wrap the whole box in plastic wrap 2 times then in freezer foil 2 times. Place in freezer, press "Extreme Freeze" on the panel, and let it chill until I need it. This is just a standard residential grade upright freezer that I bought from Lowe's.

The evening before delivery, I take the box out and place it in the fridge and let it thaw overnight, fully wrapped. A few hours before delivery, I take it out of the box and return it to the fridge. However, the last time I did this (two weekends ago), I didn't have any room in the cooler so I left it out, fully wrapped, at room temperature to thaw overnight, then unboxed it a few hours before delivery. Fondant cake board, 50/50 bow loops, everything was just dandy. Nothing drooped, sagged, ran, slumped, drooled, or otherwise in any way appeared less than just as perfect as when I boxed and froze it. icon_smile.gif

angeliaaki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeliaaki Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:16am
post #5 of 15

does the cake still taste as fresh when doing this?

Cakepro Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:31am
post #6 of 15

Of course! I would not do this if the taste of the cake was altered or degraded in any way! I take great pride in my business and my work. My loyal repeat clients and the new business that I get from people who attend events where my cakes are served prove that.

Plus, I serve previously frozen cakes at family gatherings, and my family members are the most important (and most honest and critical!) people in the world. icon_smile.gif

Like I said, proper storage and thawing is crucial to success.

angeliaaki Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:33am
post #7 of 15

how can i bake, fill and decorate cupcakes and store them? i have 2 orders for fri and i want to finish them by tomorrow.

Cakepro Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:35am
post #8 of 15

You don't need to freeze Friday cupcakes that you finish on Thursday.

angeliaaki Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:39am
post #9 of 15

can i just pop the cupcakes into the cupcake holders and leave in fridge?

Cakepro Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:45am
post #10 of 15

If the filling inside the cupcakes is perishable, yes. If not, you can just leave them at room temp in the box.

Without perishable filling that requires refrigeration, there is really no point in refrigerating cupcakes.

Refrigerating cakes, on the other hand, prevents the cake from settling/sagging, prevents bulges, sliding icing, blowouts and other ugliness. It also makes the cake very firm and solid for delivery. Well-chilled cakes are super easy to delivery fully stacked and decorated. Cupcakes don't have any of those issues.

angeliaaki Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:47am
post #11 of 15

sweet! thanks for your help!

Cakepro Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:52am
post #12 of 15

You are most welcome! icon_smile.gif

mommachris Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 6:45pm
post #13 of 15

I don't have the room in my freezer that you do.
Nine kids require pounds and pounds of hamburger and loaves of bread. icon_lol.gif

I'm going to crumb coat and wrap it up in plastic and foil.
Its a gift cake not a paid order and it's for a bunch of teenagers at a pool party tomorrow. I'm sending my discerning son to give me a report. He's pretty particular about cake...years of training, I guess. thumbs_up.gif

Thank you so much for the advise. I love this site!

Mommachris

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 7:50pm
post #14 of 15

I do this all the time without a problem. I wrap with with cling wrap several times. When taking it out of the freezer leave the cling wrap on it until the cake is totally defrosted.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 8:36pm
post #15 of 15

Love all the tips for storing.....Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%