Needing To Make Roses And Leaves Ahead Of Time

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 31 May 2011 , 5:17pm by heartsnsync

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,
I have a cake I'm making for the 26th of June. I'm very new at using fondant and want to get started making my roses and leaves. How far in advance can I make them? Can I start now and then how would I store them for a couple of weeks? Will they crack? Can I leave the roses hanging on the wire rack.
Thank you

4 replies
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 5

You can make them now with no problem...just let them air dry. Don't cover them. A 1/2 fondant and 1/2 gumpaste mixture works great....it seems to dry quicker and the flowers are smoother and finer finish. They won't crack. I don't see why you can't hang them just support the pedals so they don't fall together.

and welcome to CC.....great place to get information and ideas......

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 31 May 2011 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you,
I tried making my own gumpaste recipe yesterday using one of the recipes on CC. but it was so hard and crumbly. I tried even using a little shortening. I was very frustrated. So I grabbed my MMF that I had made from this site and it was the most beautiful rose. I was very excited. Now I need to figure out how to make them wine colored. Any suggestions?

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 31 May 2011 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 5

Color the fondant/gum paste mixture a nice base color lighter than your desired product. When the flowers are dry then dust them with a wine colored petal dust. It helps if the inner petal paste is a bit darker than the out ones because it is difficult to get the petal dust on those inner petals once the flower is complete. I have attached a photo of some burgundy roses I made this way recently.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 31 May 2011 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 5

Well, I tried three times to get the attachment to post and it will not. I am obviously not doing this correctly. Sorry I could not get the picture on there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%