Decorating W/fondant

Decorating By gaga1 Updated 31 May 2011 , 8:15pm by amygortoncakes

gaga1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gaga1 Posted 31 May 2011 , 1:39am
post #1 of 3

Last yr our store made an unbelievably cake decorated with fondant to look exactly like a hamburg dressed with cheese. onions, ketchup and mustard> It was totally awsome. I ordered one for my husband's b'day and people quote " Wow that's a huge burger! Man, it must've taken a few hours to put that together" " C' mon let's dig in" You didn't make it"? I know that didn'nt come from no McDonald's"! "Who made it"I It looks so good! But I thought we were BBQ'n ribs"?! Ok you get the pic. I want so much to duplicate that cake for father's day, donating it to members of a close family. Can any one guide me thru making, decorating with fondant?

2 replies
sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 31 May 2011 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 3

you tube would be your best friend here...everything you need to know is there...

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 31 May 2011 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 3

My personal opinion is to just buy fondant instead of trying to make it the first time.

Make sure whatever you are covering with fondant is settled, and iced perfectly or all the imperfections will show through.

Use cornstarch or I prefer crisco to slather all over hands, counter and rolling pin so it doesn't stick.

Make sure you knead the fondant until its soft and when you pull it apart it stretched like taffy. Then you are ready to roll or mold with it.

Have fun, its not as hard as it seems. Maybe try and cover a small cake just to work out the wrinkles. Get a fondnat smoother, once its on the cake you can really work the cake and press it in.

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%