Cake Just On The Seperater Plate Or Tacky??

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 28 May 2011 , 10:16pm by Unlimited

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a wedding cake for June 11th and I was wondering if it is tacky to just put the cake on the seperater plate with a piece of parchment underneath.I usually use a cake circle but I don't want to add height as she wants ribbon around the base and no border..As it is I have to do a small border to hide the plate and she is okay with this but I thought is would be easier to just have the cake on the plastic plate.

Do you think this is tacky??

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 5

You can use a separator plate that is a size smaller than your bottom tier of the cake. Put the cake on a cakeboard as usual and you won't need a bottom border at all, you'll have the cake raised slightly, and you won't see the separator plate. HTH...

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 5

Hmm..Interesting..I may jsut do that..Thanks Cownsj

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 5

You're welcome, let us know how your cake comes out.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 28 May 2011 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 5

Here are some things to consider:
1.) Your plates (if not disposable) will get cut marks on them when the cake is sliced.
2.) Your plates (if not disposable) might not be returned because if there's leftover cake, it's too difficult for anyone to transfer to a board or box if it isn't provided on its own board.
3.) If you ice your cakes directly on the separator plate, large tiers will be easybut small tiers won't because they will slide around on your turntable.
4.) If you ice your cakes and then try to transfer them to the separator plate without being on their own board, they may crack unless they're iced frozen.

Personally, I'd ice each cake on its own board... it doesn't add height. The board (same size or slightly smaller than the cake) gets iced over along with the cake anyway, so it doesn't show. Don't ice the cake first, transfer to a cake circle, then to the plate... ice the cake while it's on its own board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%