My First Cake Disaster : (

Decorating By KellyJo3 Updated 28 May 2011 , 5:10pm by KellyJo3

KellyJo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyJo3 Posted 28 May 2011 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 3

Luckily it was with one of the nicest customers I've ever had and it wasn't as bad as some of the disasters I've heard on here.
I made a Monster High cake for a customer's daughter, which had 2 modeling chocolate figures. I made them about 5 days ago and they held up the whole time at my house, but of course as soon as I put them on her cake, they literally almost disinegrated and all their limbs broke off! I was able to repair them enough to be presentable, but I offered her a partial refund of her cake and a free dozen cupcakes for her to redeem at any time she wanted. She would not take the offer and proceeded to compliment the cake. She was so sweet, but I am still going to send her a coupon to her her email, as she really is rightfully deserving of it.

2 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 28 May 2011 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyJo3

Luckily it was with one of the nicest customers I've ever had and it wasn't as bad as some of the disasters I've heard on here.
I made a Monster High cake for a customer's daughter, which had 2 modeling chocolate figures. I made them about 5 days ago and they held up the whole time at my house, but of course as soon as I put them on her cake, they literally almost disinegrated and all their limbs broke off! I was able to repair them enough to be presentable, but I offered her a partial refund of her cake and a free dozen cupcakes for her to redeem at any time she wanted. She would not take the offer and proceeded to compliment the cake. She was so sweet, but I am still going to send her a coupon to her her email, as she really is rightfully deserving of it.

I am about to try modeling chocolate for the first time... how did they disentegrate? Do you mean they just started to break from the movement of getting them on the cake?

So sorry this happened, and yes, I've had worse things happen. My latest was a carved kangaroo cake that looked more like Barney in a kangaroo costume, lol - for a friend, so it was a good laugh.

KellyJo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyJo3 Posted 28 May 2011 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you MacsMom, Yep they just broke in kind of a crumbling way. I was baffled because I have handled them everyday (working on them) for the past 5 days and they held up perfectly. I think it may have to do with the humidity and heat that we are having down here in VA today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%