Recreating A 50 Year Old Cake

Decorating By dmo4ab Updated 28 May 2011 , 2:55am by tryingcake

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:20am
post #1 of 8

Hi. A good friend ask me to make a cake for her in-laws 50th Wedding Anniversary celebration. They want to surprise them and have the cake to be like their original weddding cake. She gave me a pic, but it's a 50 year old photo, so I need a little help trying to decipher the details.
I can tell it' all buttercream. The bottom tier appears to be ruffle swags and roses, but I'm not sure about the top tier.
Appreciate any help.
[/url]

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:24am
post #2 of 8

Those pics are never very good. I'm going to guess you're right, though, about the ruffle swags and roses. Add it some giant shells and you're probably got it.

PS no pic or link.

dmo4ab Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:28am
post #3 of 8

Sorry.....here is the pic

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2048144

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:46am
post #4 of 8

I read this tag and instantly I thought:

1) Bake cake
2) frost cake
3) Freeze for 50 years

Recreated 50 year old cake. Sorry, must be the mood I am in this morning. have a great Holiday weekend!!

MariahS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariahS Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:52am
post #5 of 8

I think the top tier looks like a repeat of the ruffle swag - but instead of the large roses it looks like either smaller roses or maybe rose buds in between the swags? It does look like the border around the cake bottoms and the topper might be shell. Its hard to tell for sure but it also looks like the roses have some color to them...at first glance it looks white on white but if you look harder you can tell the leaves on the roses are green...and I'm thinking the roses might be light pink?

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:55am
post #6 of 8

You might want to use a photo editing program to change the lighting on the scan. It might show more detail.

dmo4ab Posted 28 May 2011 , 2:01am
post #7 of 8

Thanks y'all. I did put it into my photo software and blow it up. The roses and leaves do have a slight color and it's ruffle swags with a drop shell.
Gotta practice piping to get this one!

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 28 May 2011 , 2:55am
post #8 of 8

They still sell that topper. I know you are not trying to recreate the topper. Just making a statement.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%