Freezing Cakes

Decorating By lilcupcake0309 Updated 26 May 2011 , 4:19pm by MamaNenascakes

lilcupcake0309 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcupcake0309 Posted 24 May 2011 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 12

So I wanted to make a few cakes today for a party on Saturday. I was going to freeze them because I heard that will keep the moisture in. Wondering how long they should cool before wrapping them. And how do I defrost them- in the fridge or on the counter? How many hours do they need to defrost before frosting and fondant? Thanks for all the help

11 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 24 May 2011 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 12

I freeze all of my cakes. Wrap them securely in a few layers of plastic wrap and put them in the freezer. I just wait for them to cool completely, but don't leave them on the counter for longer than that because I'm too afraid they'll dry out. So they're wrapped as soon as they're cooled. And to defrost, I pull them out of the freezer and keep them on the counter while I'm at work during the day, and they're thawed when I get home. I'm gone for 9+ hrs, but it only takes a few icon_smile.gif Some people also prefer to work with their cakes while they're frozen. It's just a personal preference!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 12

I wrap in saran wrap and then in foil, the cakes are barely warm and stick them in the freezer. I usually take the cakes out the night before and let them thaw overnight, still in their wrapping.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 12

I wrap my cakes in plastic wrap while they are still warm (not hot - I cool them a bit). I thaw them in the fridge the night before I want to ice my cakes. They are always incredibly moist. I swear that freezing them does the trick. I use WASC (enhanced box mix) recipes all the time.

lilcupcake0309 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcupcake0309 Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 12

Oh my you guys are great! And fast replies- luv it!! Thanks so much. My cakes are in the oven nowicon_smile.gif

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 25 May 2011 , 4:17am
post #6 of 12

I never have always read about them, but have been scared too....so I also have a party saturday, grand babies...but am swamped with dr appts and get our pet at the vet, to take to our parents...3hrs away to bury.

I dont want to get stuck running like crazy trying to finish a 3 tier cake...so ok...am I correct?

bake, out of oven, cool til barely warm, wrap a few times
put in freezer...when ready to decorate, take them out and LEAVE THEM IN THE WRAP?...until they thaw out completely?? then remove the wrapping and decorate, shouldnt take more than a few hrs to thaw out, but I can leave them out wrapped,thawing for as long as 8+ hrs.

Do I carve them before I freeze, or after they are thawed?? Never carved but I want to ask to be READY! lol....yeah right!

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 25 May 2011 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 12

I also have a question. I've never frozen a cake before.

How long can a cake be frozen and still taste/be fresh?

Things would be less hectic if I didn't have to bake and decorate everything in 2 or 3 days.

believer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
believer Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:21pm
post #8 of 12

My question is what about freezing a cake covered with buttercream. What if I add fondant cut outs, etc.

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 12

I frequently freeze cakes but I always make sure they are cooled completely and then wrap in wax paper and two layers of foil. I had one left in the freezer from November 2010 and used it as a kitchen cake in May because it was vanilla and the grad cake for the church was all chocolate. I got lots of compliments and no one but me knew it had been in the freezer that long. I usually only bake and freeze up to one month in advance though. I have frozen cakes that were frosted with buttercream too. I made one for school a few weeks in advance of homecoming because I knew I was going to be out of town with a new grandchild. My husband took it in for me and I was worried that the royal blue would run or bleed on the white as it defrosted but it didn't. I've also frozen buttercream cakes with a few fondant cutout for just a couple of days before shipping them with dry ice and they were fine as well. I don't think you should freeze cakes that are completely covered in fondant though. Hope that helps.

aminel23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminel23 Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:51pm
post #10 of 12

Sorry to butt in, but I just have a question with regards to freezing a cake. I wanted to freeze my cake just enough that when i cut, it wont make a whole lot of crumbs.. Do i still need to freeze it overnight? Just a few hours? and if i cut the cake frozen, do i have to wrap em again and let it thaw before decorating?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:11pm
post #11 of 12

I worked for a small custom cake bakery and this is what they did...and this is what I do now.
All baking was done on Tuesday for weekend pick-ups. Bake, cool, wrap tightly in Saran Wrap and freeze until day due. You can certainly bake earlier as well.

I crumbcoat and fill a frozen cake and then cool in refrigerator. I layer on the buttercream and refrigerate and layer until I don't see cake anymore. (Cooling it hardens the buttercream so it's easier to smooth between layers.) The cake slowly defrosts in the refrigerator but is still cold.
I dowel, stack (if doing tiered), decorate and put back in the refrigerator. Usually I deliver the same day...if not then it stays in the refrigerator overnight. I like to deliver a cold cake because it travels well and when it is on display for several hours it thaws slowly to room temp. I use real butter in the buttercream so it holds up nicely when coming to room temperature.
When the cake is finally cut, it's moist and delicious...and very fresh tasting.
The bakery would also bake and freeze cupcakes for last minute orders as well as various size cakes to use up left-over batter. Sometimes these would be in there at least a month and they all would come out great.
I don't think I'd freeze a fully decorated cake unless wrapped very well and then unwrapped to let thaw in the refrigerator slowly.
I would not let wrapped frozen undecorated cake thaw outside in the wrapper. Too much condensation and soggy cake.
If you have a fondant covered cake, it can become sticky with condensation but don't touch it and let it dry naturally at room temp. I only use fondant decor and it dries fine. HTH!

MamaNenascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaNenascakes Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:19pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

I worked for a small custom cake bakery and this is what they did...and this is what I do now.
All baking was done on Tuesday for weekend pick-ups. Bake, cool, wrap tightly in Saran Wrap and freeze until day due. You can certainly bake earlier as well.

I crumbcoat and fill a frozen cake and then cool in refrigerator. I layer on the buttercream and refrigerate and layer until I don't see cake anymore. (Cooling it hardens the buttercream so it's easier to smooth between layers.) The cake slowly defrosts in the refrigerator but is still cold.
I dowel, stack (if doing tiered), decorate and put back in the refrigerator. Usually I deliver the same day...if not then it stays in the refrigerator overnight. I like to deliver a cold cake because it travels well and when it is on display for several hours it thaws slowly to room temp. I use real butter in the buttercream so it holds up nicely when coming to room temperature.
When the cake is finally cut, it's moist and delicious...and very fresh tasting.
The bakery would also bake and freeze cupcakes for last minute orders as well as various size cakes to use up left-over batter. Sometimes these would be in there at least a month and they all would come out great.
I don't think I'd freeze a fully decorated cake unless wrapped very well and then unwrapped to let thaw in the refrigerator slowly.
I would not let wrapped frozen undecorated cake thaw outside in the wrapper. Too much condensation and soggy cake.
If you have a fondant covered cake, it can become sticky with condensation but don't touch it and let it dry naturally at room temp. I only use fondant decor and it dries fine. HTH!

Agree with Carmijok, that's what I do

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%