Help! How Do I Melt White Chocolate W/butter? It Separated!!

Lounge By Roxybc Updated 24 May 2011 , 11:27pm by saffronica

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 24 May 2011 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 8

I'm trying to make white chocolate blondies by changing a chocolate brownie recipe by replacing the dark chocolate with white chocolate. I made the regular chocolate version yesterday, but today when I melted the butter & white chocolate together they separated! I thought by adding in my sugar and stirring the mixture might come together, but it hasn't. The clear part of the butter just pools on top! What can I do to save it???

7 replies
Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 24 May 2011 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 8

FYI: I've put it in my mixer with the whisk attachment and beat it for about 5 mins, but it still hasn't come together. I hope I haven't wasted 11oz of god quality white chocolate and 1 cup of butter icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 24 May 2011 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 8

That can happen if you do it on too high of a heat. I generally melt my butter in the pan on med-low heat, then add the chocolate chunks off the heat and stir til it's all melted. You can put it back on the heat on low if there are any stubborn chunks.
I don't know if there's anything you can do to save it. Since you've made the mix anyway, I would bake it and see what happens before throwing it all away...
Also, you might find that just subbing one chocolate for another won't work, if you leave all the other ingredients the same. Blondies need less sugar than brownies, since white choc is so much sweeter than dark. Try it and see though!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 24 May 2011 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 8

That can happen if you do it on too high of a heat. I generally melt my butter in the pan on med-low heat, then add the chocolate chunks off the heat and stir til it's all melted. You can put it back on the heat on low if there are any stubborn chunks.
I don't know if there's anything you can do to save it. Since you've made the mix anyway, I would bake it and see what happens before throwing it all away...
Also, you might find that just subbing one chocolate for another won't work, if you leave all the other ingredients the same. Blondies need less sugar than brownies, since white choc is so much sweeter than dark. Try it and see though!

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 24 May 2011 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 8

Could the butter have had too high of a water content? Cheaper butters usually have more water in them.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 24 May 2011 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenLuLu

Could the butter have had too high of a water content? Cheaper butters usually have more water in them.

I'm thinking this is the problem too.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 May 2011 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 8

From all the recipe I have seen Blondies are more like a thick cookie bar and not really the same texture as brownies. They also usually have chocolate chips add, not melted chocolate mixed in the whole batter. If you want to make a white chocolate brownie you may want to look up recipes for that.

As far as what you are trying to do, I'd probably go ahead and finish mixing it. The extra liquid will probably blend in fine with the rest of the stuff.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 8

To me, a blondie is similar in texture to a brownie, but it's flavored with brown sugar instead of chocolate. As TexasSugar said, they often have chocolate chips (and/or white chocolate chips) mixed in.

Your white chocolate brownies might bake up okay, even if the batter separated. My regular brownie recipe often separates when I combine the oil melted butter with the chocolate/cocoa/water mixture, but it evens out when I add the eggs. They always turn out great when they're baked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%