Mentor Requests - Does This Happen To You?

Business By Motta Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 9:29pm by belle76

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:56am
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

Sometimes no matter how good you normally are if there are people watching you all of a sudden you get to be 10 thumb suzie or other things that normally go smoothly do not go that way. It may not be that way with you,
maybe you just are not used to people watching what you are doing. It makes it a little weird in the sense that you can not completely concentrate on what you need to do because you have people watching you work and
when you are not used to it, it kind of can make you nervous.

Yes. This is totally true. Now when I worked in a grocery store many moons ago we worked in front of a glass display window where people could watch you, but that was just grocery store designs, which I can do with an audience. But the work I do now is a much higher level and one I need to focus on without the distraction of being watched. Plus with a pane of glass between you people do not attempt to ask questions and generally are very very quiet if they come up and watch you. Whole different enchilada for someone to be IN MY KITCHEN!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 3:30am
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

Someone mentioned someone asking to be a paid staff while they learned. They knew nothing. Here is a suggestion for what it is worth. Tell this young person that right now you could not pay them to learn. If they want to learn the business that you would be glad to talk to them abut a schedule that could work for both of you and you would be willing to teach them what you know, but in return they must be willing to give something of themselves. Say for example that they would come in and clean for you once a week or twice. This would be their way of paying you for your knowledge and expertise. If you did have the money to hire someone, you could also tell them that when they had worked for you up front for about 6-9 months that you would consider letting them come in and learn from you on a time that was not on the clock. this way they could prove themselves. If they are really interested in learning cake decorating and want to do it for a career then they will find a way to jump at the opportunity. Also they will find ways to help you out that are over and above their job duties when they are on the clock. Don't give up on the idea of mentoring just be clever in the way you go about it.

I'm not sure if someone else mentioned that or not. I know I did. I offered to teach her the basics to help her get a job in a bakery. She said she needed a job. That she couldn't be travelling to my house if she wasn't going to be getting paid.

sgirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirl87 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 3:30am
post #33 of 36

While I can see both sides of the argument (I hate when my husband comes into the kitchen while I'm cooking or when my daughter decides she wants to start screaming at the gate to the kitchen because she can't get in) it breaks my concentration.

However, I have been on the receiving end. I have a wedding cake for a friend coming up and it's my first one, and I am extremely nervous for it. I asked a neighbor if she would be willing to show me a few tricks on her next cake. She graciously agreed. I am a hobbyist and she has a licensed home kitchen. I am so incredibly grateful she took the time to help me and was willing to do so. I'm not so nervous anymore.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 10:33am
post #34 of 36

sgirl87, that is a little different sitaution. She knows that you have a cake order and are a hobbyist. you just want your cake to look the best that it can so you can make a beautiful cake for a Bride. I am sure that your neighbor or friend would still help you even if you told her that you had been getting enough orders for cakes recently that you had decided to go into business. She probably still isn't going to consider you a threat, but I am sure that if you did not choose to go about it legally as she has then it could cause problems unless you were to ask her could you rent her kitchen from her? until you could figure out a way to get your done over to a licensed kitchen or get one built. If that wasn't possible because she needs to be continually in there maybe she could suggest a legal kitchen to rent or tell you what she did until she could get legal.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:12am
post #35 of 36

As a former school teacher, I love to have interns in the shop. It gives me an opportunity to combine two loves, teaching and decorating. I like passing my skills onto the "next" generation. I do have a decent sized cake shop, so there is lots of room for lower skill jobs while they learn the more refined techniques. I just love to see their skills grow and the difference from when they came in to when they leave. I understand the difference in availability and space in a small or home kitchen.

belle76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belle76 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:29pm
post #36 of 36

I am an adult just trying to get the hang of things. It would be a while before i went into business. I am taking classes and have no problem paying for classes! but classes can only teach you so much. classes can't teach you real life experiences! I would love a chance to shadow someone for a bit. It's not like i would just sit there and watch or get in the way...i would do things like wash up dishes, wipe the counters or prepare icing bags or what ever small task i could do to help while learning. I am doing most of this on my own (except for the wilton classes...which i hope pick up soon icon_wink.gif ), doing lots of online research etc, which is really helpful. and as far as "as soon as someone watching everything goes wrong" thoughts....i would love to see what to do if something goes wrong!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%