What Should I Do?

Lounge By cakeninja82 Updated 24 May 2011 , 7:29am by JanH

cakeninja82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeninja82 Posted 24 May 2011 , 12:39am
post #1 of 18

Will someone please tell me what I have to do to not be labeled a troll?

Is answering questions truthfully and to the best of my knowledge not enough?

Of course we are all going to have different opinions, I don't expect everyone to agree with mine, as I don't expect to agree with everyone else.

If it is simply the number of posts then let me be the first to apologize for having a business, 4 children, house and family to care for.
All of which come before online forum posting.
If it is the lack of pictures then I apologize for that as well.
I have a website, flickr,FB and blog, all of which contain examples of my work.
However I had bad experiences in the past with forum like sites that to keep your pictures even after you repeatedly asked them to be removed.
Therefore I reserve the right to not post pictures, it's my choice and I have made it.

So for future reference what would everyone suggest I do to avoid being branded a troll ?

Sincerely,
Not a Troll

17 replies
TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 24 May 2011 , 12:59am
post #2 of 18

Just recently heard about this "troll" thing. I don't think it's number of posts, or pictures...my understanding is a troll is someone who make comments just to "stir the pot" or start trouble. I have no idea about your posts... but if you are doing that, then stop...it's as easy as that. If you don't feel you are doing that... then I wonder why you have been labeled a "troll"...???
I am curious though....do you have multiple accounts here on CC???

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 24 May 2011 , 12:59am
post #3 of 18

I was wrong. And I'm truly sorry. I did have you confused with someone else. Don't think I needed to be jumped on...but hey. it's all good.

Once again so sorry.

craise79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craise79 Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:05am
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferkay

well....honestly. The posts I've seen from you have been not very tactful. You may be a blunt person and that's fine. But you have to take a step back and say "would I say this to someone's face or friend?" Being in the internet world and being able to hide behind the screen gives some people balls they never would have normally. I guess using more tact, treating others they way you'd like to be treated would be the best solution.
I'm not familiar with trolls or trolling.... I don't think you mean to cause an uproar, but sometimes your posts are just a little harsh for someone who's already down. I'm sure you have knowledge to share and helpful advice to give.

Well said...I agree 100 percent

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:09am
post #5 of 18

lol I actually was one of the people who stuck up for you (in that thread that mysteriously disappeared today), when that member accused you of being a TROLL.

As you can see I've been a member for almost a year but only have a few posts.

The main reason it took me so long to post?

Because I've noticed that if you don't agree with a certain majority, than you're accused of being mean or like you, a TROLL.

I don't think you're a TROLL...in fact I think it's refreshing to read posts by somebody who answers a question honestly...even when you know it won't be a popular answer.

People should listen to you, they may actually learn something.

cakestyles Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:13am
post #6 of 18
Quote:

well....honestly. The posts I've seen from you have been not very tactful. You may be a blunt person and that's fine. But you have to take a step back and say "would I say this to someone's face or friend?" Being in the internet world and being able to hide behind the screen gives some people balls they never would have normally. I guess using more tact, treating others they way you'd like to be treated would be the best solution.
I'm not familiar with trolls or trolling.... I don't think you mean to cause an uproar, but sometimes your posts are just a little harsh for someone who's already down. I'm sure you have knowledge to share and helpful advice to give.

So is this an example of something you would only say on the internet? Geez...crass language much?

I just read all of the OP's posts and find none to be "not very tactful" as you describe. Are you confusing her with that other cakeninja whatever member that also shows up from time to time?

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:19am
post #7 of 18
Quote:

I think maybe you have the wrong person in mind??? "Ninjacaker" is not the same as "Cakeninja82."

cakestyles Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:24am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

Quote:

I think maybe you have the wrong person in mind??? "Ninjacaker" is not the same as "Cakeninja82."

Thank you that's the one I was thinking about too...I knew the name was similar.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:28am
post #9 of 18

Wow look who's being mean now. Practice what you preach.

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:28am
post #10 of 18

I believe people are under the impression that "Ninjacaker" and "Cakeninja82" are the same person.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:51am
post #11 of 18

There seems to be a trend on here of labelling someone a troll if they dare to actually say the truth. Someone will post a picture of a cake where the entire front of it has fallen off, and ask if it's really that bad. People will respond with "Oh no, don't be so hard on yourself," then if someone does say "yes, that's awful" everyone jumps on them for not being supportive, then accuses them of trying to stir up trouble, so they HAVE to be a troll. If oyu don't have photos up, that's the proof!

Sure, some people are trying to stir up trouble, but it seems pretty easy to do that anyway by just being honest on here. It's easier to call someone a troll than it is to MAYBE look at something objectively and see if that person might have a valid point.

Take the perceived tone out of it and try to see whether the point is valid or not.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:48am
post #12 of 18

Unless you have a hunch back, live under a bridge and try to trick goats to eat them, I would say you're not a troll.

Before someone gets their panties in a knot -- I'm kidding.

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:57am
post #13 of 18

mkolmar

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:48 pm   Post subject:
Unless you have a hunch back, live under a bridge and try to trick goats to eat them, I would say you're not a troll.

Before someone gets their panties in a knot -- I'm kidding.

Lol!!! I agree

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:14am
post #14 of 18

I don't see troll when I read your threads. I see in your face honesty that isn't valued by everyone. Truth doesn't necessarily mean cruel if viewed through the right lens. If people can't tell the difference, maybe they should take a step back and re-evaluate how they are feeling that day. It's all relative (unless someone calls you a "fill in the blank" ).
Also, people need to be very careful what asking for professional advice online. For instance, if someone is asking for "sound" business advice, perhaps the internet is not their best option. You never know if the person dishing our the advice is a success or business catastrophe. I wonder how many people accept advice without doing research themselves. icon_surprised.gif

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:46am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by videodrome

Also, people need to be very careful what asking for professional advice online. icon_surprised.gif

Excellent point! Who are you dealing with? Someone you know from "real life" and also chat with online, or someone you "know" only from the internet?

Does this person pass along "info" from her hairdresser's sister's husband, who's cousin's drinking buddy said........ Or does this person speak from firsthand experience? What EXACTLY is his/her firsthand experience?

Is he/she a part-time employee? An industry consultant? Have you checked credentials or professional affiliations? REALLY checked, or just googled? Is he/she a business owner? How long? Is the business a brand new start-up? Or is it mature and profitable? You can follow the advice of someone who's business is featured on the front page of the local business section. You can follow the advice of someon who's business is featured in the county's bankruptcy/asset liquidation announcement.

Most small businesses fail within 3 years of start-up. Not break-even. FAIL. So do your research, and choose wisely!

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 24 May 2011 , 5:51am
post #16 of 18

It's funny that you should post this question today as I was JUST speaking to my bf about it regarding myself and other posters on here that make comments that may not be: a) taken in the context they are actually given, since the written word can be translated be each person differently and HOW they interpret usually depends on how that individual would normally say such things themselves...or b)may not fall in line with what the "in" or "popular" crowd on the forums have to say about the same issues.
I'm sorry that you feel you have been labeled a troll. Just shake it off and consider the source.

summernmicah99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernmicah99 Posted 24 May 2011 , 6:56am
post #17 of 18

There are days that I'm afraid to post something due to the climate of CC. I love this site, but if I wanted drama I would watch the Soap Network, not read it on CC. I've noticed if someone asks a question that has been throughly responded to, the poster gets ripped for not doing their homework before asking. Newbies get run through the ringer asking the standard new caker questions, & if there is a "First Cake Ever Decorated... Honestly - How Did I Do?" post, 95% of the posts blow smoke up the nose, but the honest 5% who say "Nice Effort, Keep Practicing" are called heartless trolls... It makes a person NOT WANT to post pics or respond in the forums. This is an awesome site with lots of ideas, tips & advice, but it can also be very intimidating, fear of being ridiculed or labeled something nasty. And yes Foxicakes is right - if the "In Crowd" is not in line with your view then your "Out"! Todays post got WAY off track. I read through your prior posts, you are not a troll, just honest. And you are alot more polite with some of the posts than I would be! So, I thank you for your honesty - sometimes the truth is hard to swallow, but to grow, we have to be able to see the cold truth, whether we like it or not. People need to not jump to conclusions as often as have been displayed on CC recently. (Stepping off the soapbox now...)

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 May 2011 , 7:29am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeninja82

Will someone please tell me what I have to do to not be labeled a troll?

Is answering questions truthfully and to the best of my knowledge not enough?

Of course we are all going to have different opinions, I don't expect everyone to agree with mine, as I don't expect to agree with everyone else.

If it is simply the number of posts then let me be the first to apologize for having a business, 4 children, house and family to care for.
All of which come before online forum posting.
If it is the lack of pictures then I apologize for that as well.
I have a website, flickr,FB and blog, all of which contain examples of my work.
However I had bad experiences in the past with forum like sites that to keep your pictures even after you repeatedly asked them to be removed.
Therefore I reserve the right to not post pictures, it's my choice and I have made it.

So for future reference what would everyone suggest I do to avoid being branded a troll ?

Sincerely,
Not a Troll

Acceptable behavior at CakeCentral.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie

Ladies and Gentlemen of CakeCentral:

Over the last month or so there has been an unsettling increase in the volume and frequency of petty bickering in the forums.

This behavior is completely unacceptable and against the spirit of Cake Central.

The moderators and administrators are fed up with trying to keep up with this ugliness and trying to keep the peace.

Quite frankly, Heath and I are disgusted with the behavior of a handful of members and we are putting an end to it.

Consider this message fair notice to everyone. The leniency is over. We are going to start banning any member we feel is starting problems, provoking others, making snide remarks, or insulting other members.

I don't care if we have to ban 1000 users if that is what it takes to get this community back to focusing on cakes instead of inter-personal drama.

We are all supposed to be here to talk politely about cake, support each other, and lend a helping hand.

If you don't agree with someone, by all means.... disagree, but do it respectfully.

If someone asks for your constructive criticism, then give it... constructively.

If you find yourself unable to write a post, PM, or response in a constructive, encouraging or supportive way then you need to walk away.

Remember, this community is based on values of caring, and generosity of spirit.

Focus on what you share in common, learn from what makes you different, support each other through struggles, and celebrate each others' success.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-661107-acceptable.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%