When Do I Apply A Simple Syrup?

Decorating By MaurorLess67 Updated 22 May 2011 , 8:59pm by Coral3

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 22 May 2011 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 7

Good Morning Everyone-

I'm making a graduation cake for my sons girlfriend (Congrats Lauren- so proud of you icon_biggrin.gif ). I would like to bake the cakes today, cool and freeze them for use next week. I thought it may be a good idea to add a simple syrup (a very small amount) to ensure the cakes stay moist. I am using DH boxed marble, will eventually be filled with a whipped ganache and covered in ganache and fondant. Should I apply the simple syrup before freezing or after the cakes are defrosted?

I have never used a simple syrup or frozen a cake soo... yeah, I'm clueless- icon_confused.gif

Thanks for any guidance-

Mo

6 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 22 May 2011 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 7

If you are going to make one of the enhanced box recipes you do not need to add simple syrup which is equal parts water and sugar. I freeze my cakes all the time and they are always very moist.
If you want to use simple syrup I would put it on the cake after they have defrosted and right before you are filling and icing them. Box mixes are usually pretty moist so you might want to reconsider adding the simple syrup. Hope this helps you.

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 22 May 2011 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much msulli10! Your advice/guidance did help-

I see you are located on Long Island, as am I- I am having a very hard time finding a cake decorating supply store- I wind up having to order many things online- I get what I can from the hobby stores/Michaels/ AC Moore etc- but as you probably know they don't always carry what is needed and I am really looking for high quality materials and equipment.

Do you know of any on the Island- I'm in Sayville- Suffolk County.

(Isn't this weather just the worst???? Just saw it will be like this for another 2 weeks, with maybe 2 or 3 sunny days in the mix- ugh!!!)

Thank you sooo soo much for your help/guidance- I'm so new to cake decorating, just love it and I seem to have a knack for it, but would be nowhere without all of the fabulous, generous people on CC!!

Mo

sparkle25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkle25 Posted 22 May 2011 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 7

I always freeze my cakes it actually makes them moister. The key is to do it while they are still warm. I wrap them in saran and then a layer of foil while the cakes are still warm and then just put them in the freezer. The cakes come out moist every time without having to add anything.

msulli10 Posted 22 May 2011 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 7

Mo - yes, we are neighbors - I'm in East Islip. I buy some of my supplies at AC Moore and Michaels with coupon, of course. They are always coming out with new items. Things like hi ratio shortening and satin ice fondant I buy online. I find fondantsource.com to have great prices and fast service.
If you have any questions, feel free to send me a private message. You will learn a lot from this site and from Youtube videos.

msulli10 Posted 22 May 2011 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 7

They blocked fondant source which is the on line site I buy some supplies from. Just google it.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 22 May 2011 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 7

I wouldn't recommend using syrup before freezing. I find freezing makes the syrup go a little bit gritty/crystallized.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%