What's The Best Stitching Tool To Use?

Decorating By carmijok Updated 23 May 2011 , 5:41am by BakerAnn

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 7

I've got a baseball cap coming up soon and the little Wilton stitching tool I have wobbles like crazy. Even if I have it up next to a ruler it tends to run off course. Then I have to press harder and end up getting too deep a 'stitch'. Is there a good one out there or do I have to make do with what I have...or worse yet...have to hand press each one?
Thanks!

6 replies
jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 7

I have seen others reccommend this so it is worth a try. if you go to a fabric store and ask them for the tools to transfer markings onto fabric from the pattern piece there is a wheel tool that is very similiar to the wilton tool and it will make those same marks. I believe that it would be a little sturdier and last longer. Tell them that you do not need the paper that you use to make the transfers you just need the little wheel tool. Good luck. You should be able to find one of those at Joann's or Hancocks or clothworld or whatever is in your section of the country..

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 7

I have this one and like it alot: http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17413&name=PME%20Quilting%20Tool This one produces very small "stitches".
Same brand also does another one with interchangeable heads (similar to the Wilton one I think, but it may work better!) http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17378&name=PME%20Design%20Wheeler

whiteangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteangel Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 7

The one I got from Wilton barely moves and is mostly useless! Wish I had of tried it sooner and I could have returned it, sniff

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 21 May 2011 , 2:15am
post #5 of 7

I just found a wonderful tool to use. I have and like the small PME one, but the "stitches" are small and deep. I have several sewing tracing wheels that wobble and/or stick, and the Wilton one is just awful. This one is a "soft" wheel, meaning that it does not have sharp points but rather rounded off nubs to make the marks. It is steady and true and makes wonderful longer stitch marks without cutting all the way through the sugar paste. If you have sewing shops in your area, you may be able to find it locally.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Clover-Needlecraft-Soft-Tracing-Wheel-CL481W-/370236741507?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5633d45783

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 23 May 2011 , 4:13am
post #6 of 7

thanks for all your answers! I had no notifications that there had been any replies until now! I will definitely be shopping soon! Thanks again and wish me luck. I hate wobbly stitches!!

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 23 May 2011 , 5:41am
post #7 of 7

Thank you for that link, ibmoser. I was getting ready to order the PME one but saw the suggestion from you. I just went out and ordered it; $5.25 which includes shipping!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%