What Am I Doing Wrong, Please Help

Decorating By Candice0402 Updated 27 May 2011 , 1:05am by Candice0402

Candice0402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice0402 Posted 19 May 2011 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 5

I have made several cakes but they all bulge from the sides. My last cake was a white cake recipe (almond and sour-cream cake)... awsc cake or something, by the way it was wonderful thanks for the post. And the icing is Wilton butter cream. Please Help!
anyone have any suggestions

4 replies
Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 19 May 2011 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 5

After filling your cakes you must let them settle for a few hours. Are you doing this?

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:47am
post #3 of 5

In addition to Kaykaymay's advice to allow the cakes to settle, piping a dam of stiffened buttercream around the lower layer will hold the filling in. After filling inside the dam, press the top layer on (a flat cookie sheet works well) and remove any bulge from around the sides before putting the cake aside to settle.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:58am
post #4 of 5

I have to agree I had same problem and the dam did the trick but yes let it sit for a bit and even putting it in the fridge after you put your stiff dam works even better. Try using sugarshacks bc recipe, it holds up very good and is really smooth.

Candice0402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice0402 Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:05am
post #5 of 5

I truly want to thank you all for your comments. I never thought about letting the cake settle... seems common sense now that I think about it. THANK YOU And i have tried creating a barier or a dam but im guessing my icing wasnt thick enough. I will definitely use the recipe you suggested. Thanks for all the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%