Swirls, Take 2!

Decorating By JenTwirl Updated 19 May 2011 , 2:55am by Lovin_Cakes30

JenTwirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenTwirl Posted 18 May 2011 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 4

Hi again everyone!

I posted yesterday about doing buttercream swirls on a wedding cake. Change of plans! I will now be doing the swirls out of fondant (or gum paste). Which would be better? Also, is there a mold out there that is good to use, or should I do these by hand? Your help is much appreciated!!

3 replies
AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 19 May 2011 , 1:04am
post #2 of 4

"Swirls" is a very subjective word. Attach a picture so that we can offer advice that would achieve what you are trying to do. I read your other post and I thought at first you meant scrolls because it was a wedding cake. Once we see it, it would be easier for someone to steer you in the right direction. thumbs_up.gif

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 19 May 2011 , 2:33am
post #3 of 4

Saying swirls is like saying car. There are many different models.

Lovin_Cakes30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 19 May 2011 , 2:55am
post #4 of 4

Scrolling type swirls maybe? I have only used fondant but know that gum paste is supposed to dry harder. I hear a lot of people mixing the two to get a really good consistency... I would say if was scrolls you could do it by hand. The scrolling I see is random, not mirrored or butterflied if you know what I mean? But idk maybe there are molds for that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%