Can I Decorate Chocolate With Luster Dust?

Decorating By courtneys_cakes Updated 18 May 2011 , 3:13am by sillywabbitz

courtneys_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtneys_cakes Posted 17 May 2011 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 5

My mom and I have been playing around with ideas for favors for my wedding, which will be this October! Part of the favor will include a dark chocolate leaf, which looks a little boring on its own. We thought about dusting it with a bronze luster dust to bring out the details of the veins.... but is that edible? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions on how to dress them up a little? I definitely don't want to make anyone sick! icon_smile.gif

Thanks!
Courtney

4 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:39am
post #2 of 5

Yes, you can dust the chocolate with luster dust.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:48am
post #3 of 5

would you have to use cocoa butter on the chocolate before dusting? I would have thought it would slide off?

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:01am
post #4 of 5

I make truffles and brush them with luster dust after they come out of the mold and they look gorgeous! I love the look of old gold, and super pearl on dark chocolate. I don't use cocoa buster or anything on it, just brush on. Be careful when handling them, the luster sticks to the chocolate, but it sticks to your hands better so pick your leaves up by the edges to get a fingerprint in your luster. Have fun!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:13am
post #5 of 5

I used luster dust on cake pops as an experiment and it worked great. I posted a pic of one dusted with luster dust next to one sprayed with pearl sheen on my website. www.keeponcaking.com if you would like to see the difference. I was dusting on white chocolate but I think it would be beautiful on regular chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%