Icing Color - Getting The Color In The Icing

Decorating By augurey Updated 15 May 2011 , 9:12pm by augurey

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 9

I have a cake that I'm making for late afternoon today. I need to get the icing a dark blue. I have the Wilton Royal Blue icing color however after using it, I only have a light blue, and I need it darker, more true to the Royal Blue color.

I just checked the Wilton Icing Color chart and the Royal Blue seems to be the darkest, but in my icing, it's not very dark. True, it's a white icing, so I know that's going to make a difference. Is there any way I can fix this to make it darker?

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 9

Yes..You can purchase another couple of bottles of Wilton and put it in..Your icing may taste a bit bitter though..Best bet is invest in Americolor or chefmaster colors for the future!

augurey Posted 14 May 2011 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the suggestion!

I will definitely look into Americolor and/or Chefmaster for future. Is one preferable over the other or are they about the same as far as preference goes?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 9

They are both really good...

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 May 2011 , 2:26am
post #5 of 9

Dark blue- like navy blue? If so, add a teeny touch of black to it. I recently used both Americolor and Wilton Royal Blue and found no difference between the two. Both took a lot of color to achieve Royal Blue.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 15 May 2011 , 5:09am
post #6 of 9

I used both Americolor & Wilton & noticed a big differnce
Americolor is more intense & the colors darken beautifully. Wilton is ok but I would never buy it again unless I really have to

Back to the subject... I would try more food coloring, and try making your BC a day or 2 in advance next time, to get the best results your food coloring should settle for some time, it will darken more with time

& if you want navy blue add purple & a touch of black it to your royal blue BC

HTH

augurey Posted 15 May 2011 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the suggestions!

I considered using black, but I was afraid that it would turn black, so I opted not to so I wouldn't have to make a new batch of icing. I did notice that it did darker after it settled.

Between mixing in a lot more royal blue and adding in violet, I was able to get it to darken, and while I was icing the cake and after the cake sat for a bit, I noticed it darkened. I didn't get it as dark as I would have liked, but it worked.

I do plan on trying other brands of coloring so I can get the effects others. Being so new to this, it seems like Wilton has always been "the" brand, but I guess that's mainly because it's what I see stores/craft stores sell. It's been a big eye opener coming here to see that Wilton is not the only brand (and not always the preferred brand either).

I will definitely keep this information on hand for future reference. I originally made my icing the evening before as I was just doing a practice cake, but late at night/early morning it became more of a last minute cake, but it still managed to work out in the end.

I do have some baking projects coming up that will require me to achieve darker colors, so I will definitely make the icing/coloring in advance.

mileyjonas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mileyjonas Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 9

i had the same issue! i used the wilton royal blue for cookie monster cupcakes, but i wanted a darker blue for a yankees cake. i basically ended up using two containers of the royal blue and let it sit in the fridge and it was the exact color i needed! and the icing tasted just fine - fair warning though, don't be surprised if you have blue coming out of you.

augurey Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 9

LOL my boyfriend decided to snack on some of the left over frosting and his mouth was blue. Thankfully I didn't have to use all that I had, so hopefully blue won't be coming out icon_razz.gif But wow, that's just really something to keep in mind about coloring. Two containers is a lot, but then again, since visiting this forum, I'm learning a lot, and a lot has surprised me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%