Nicolas Lodge Gumpaste

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 15 May 2011 , 5:56am by sweettreat101

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 13 May 2011 , 8:51am
post #1 of 6

I made a batch of Nicolas Lodge gumpaste in March. I stored it in the fridge does anyone know how long it lasts? Can I still use it to make decorations?

5 replies
deb4oscar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb4oscar Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 6

I think it keeps for 6 months in the frig. I have used some of his gumpaste that was 3 months old and it was still great. Hope that helps.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 6

The recipe states
" Always store the paste in the zip-top bags and return to the refrigerator when you are not using the paste. Will keep under refrigeration for approximately 6 months. You can keep the paste longer by freezing. Be sure to use zip-top freezer bags. If you will be freezing a batch of paste, allow it to mature for 24 hours in the refrigerator first before placing into the freezer. The paste can be kept in the freezer for several years with no problems."

HTH

sweettreat101 Posted 14 May 2011 , 11:58am
post #4 of 6

It has been stored in the fridge since March in a Ziploc bag. I wasn't sure if it would be ok to use since it has egg whites and the cake is for a baby shower cake. Didn't want to get anyone sick. Does it make a difference if the decorations are dried before placing them on the cake?

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:16pm
post #5 of 6

Sweettreat101, if you're using NL's gumpaste, whatever you are making for the cake will be hard as a rock. Anything I make from gumpaste is not really intended to be eaten because gumpaste gets really hard really fast. You won't be able to cut them when you cut the cake and the guest will find them quite crunchy. When I make decorations for a cake that I intend to leave on the cake to be eaten I always make them from fondant.

sweettreat101 Posted 15 May 2011 , 5:56am
post #6 of 6

The decorations are not meant to be eaten. I just want to make sure it's ok to use gumpaste I made in March that has been refrigerated since it does have egg whites in the recipe. I don't want anyone getting sick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%