Piped Bottom Borders

Decorating By Scarophion Updated 11 May 2011 , 2:54pm by Unlimited

Scarophion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarophion Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 5

Hello,

The cake I am making has three tiers. I'd like to pipe a border around the bottom of each tier. Pearls or shells or something. The thing is, the cake needs to travel, and so I'll have each tier in separate boxes.

Would I have to pipe borders once the cake is assembled at its destination? Or is it possible to pipe a border into a cake so that it only touches that tier (so that it can be independant of the rest of the cake)?

Thank you for your help icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 5

You will need to pipe borders once the cake is assembled so that it covers the seams from stacking.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 5

For me, personally, it would be easiest to pipe the borders after the tiers were assembled, but others may have different ideas on how to do this. Anybody else have any suggestions?

Scarophion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarophion Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 5

Ah, thank you. thumbs_up.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarophion

Would I have to pipe borders once the cake is assembled at its destination? Or is it possible to pipe a border into a cake so that it only touches that tier (so that it can be independant of the rest of the cake)?

Since you're assembling on site, I'd pipe the borders on after assembly. If you pipe them first, there's a chance they'll get messed up during assembly or the cake boards will show. Piping afterwards gives you the chance to be certain the boards don't show, and you won't need to make possible repairs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%