1St Wedding Cake!

Decorating By haleybugg Updated 10 May 2011 , 10:31pm by tiggy2

haleybugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haleybugg Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 9

I was asked to make a wedding cake and they gave me a week to do it. So i am trying my best to search up and get ready for it so ANY tips that yall might have is great! its going to be 3 tier square cake, also i am going to use my cricuit cake, but everytime i use it the fondant or gumpaste never turns out good! any tips? thanks!

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 9

You are doing your first weekend cake in under a weeks time, and you want to use something that tends to give you issues?

Have you done a stacked cake before?

Have you thought of a back up plan for any issues that you have had with the circuit cake?

haleybugg Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 9

yes i have stacked cakes, well i figured i have a week to figure the cricut out. thats why Im asking for advice. No i do not have a back up plan.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 9

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-678490-cricut.html

This post may have some helpful information on it for ya.

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 9

What design are you doing on the cake? Is it fondant or BC? Also, what support system are you using?

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 9

Can you order cutters and use them instead of your cricut machine? I think one of the biggest parts of making a wedding cake is planning when you are going to do what. Believe me, you will not want to waste time messing with your cricut. Buy cutters. I try to do everything that I can do ahead of time before I start baking the cake-get your fondant pieces cut out, make flowers, buy ribbon if you are using it, make fondant, etc. I usually go to the grocery the Sunday before a wedding cake is due, and I make my fondant on Monday or Tuesday. I bake on Thursday, and level, torte, and fill Thursday evening. I set aside the whole day Friday to stack and decorate. This wil give you time, if needed, for you to deal with any problems

What support system will you be using to stack the ca

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 9

Add tylose to your fondant, roll it very thin (a pasta roller to #7 or 8 is best). Place is on a greased mat and let it sit over night in a ziplock bag (2 gallon size) and you'll get smooth cuts. If it's not thin enough and doesn't dry long enough you will have problems.

haleybugg Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 9

Wooden dowels and cardboard...it's not a big time wedding and it's for someone who couldn't afford a cake so I offered so it's not a really big thing but I'm hoping it comes out good. The pieces I want to cut out with the cricut are very detailed and I don't think I can do it with anythj g else..

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 9

If the pieces are detailed you definately want to let the fondant dry overnight before cutting (as per the instructions above).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%